P visas are available for performing artists and entertainers who perform under a program that is culturally unique. Culturally unique means a style of artistic expression which is unique to a particular country, nation, society, class, ethnicity, religion, tribe, or other group of persons. There is no statutory limitation on the period of stay for P nonimmigrants. The artist or entertainer must be coming to the U.S. to participate in a cultural event(s) which will further the understanding or development of his or her art form.
P visas also cover essential support personnel.
A petition must be accompanied by:
- Affidavits, testimonials, or letters from recognized experts attesting to the authenticity of the alien’s or the group’s skills in performing, presenting, coaching, or teaching the unique or traditional art form, or
- Documentation that the performance of the alien or group is culturally unique, as evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals, or other published material, and
- Evidence that all of the performances or presentations will be culturally unique events
1. Consult IS at least 6 months prior to the arrival of the artist.
2. The applicant & hiring department submit the items listed below, including the check(s). It takes approximately 2 weeks for IS to prepare the application.
3. The application is sent to USCIS. After it is received, it takes approximately 6 months USCIS to render a decision. In the event a faster processing time is needed, “Premium Processing” may be used. The Premium Process will make a decision on the application within 15 calendar days by filling out Form I-907 and an additional payment of $1,225.
If the artist is not already in the US, an appointment at the Consulate is needed.
Items Required from Faculty/Staff Member
- P-3 Applicant Information Sheet
- Peer recommendation letters attesting to the culturally unique skills of the applicant
- Promotional literature of the applicant
- Copy of passport ID
- Copy of most recent arrival/departure record Form I-94 (front &back), if currently in the US
- Copy of visa stamp page
- Copy of all previous Forms I-797, DS 2019s, 1-20s, J/F status, OPT, if applicable
- Copy of CV – Including Name and address of employer/s, Kind of business, Period of employment [month/year], Job title, Job Description
- Copy of high school diploma (only if no college level education)
- Copy of any diplomas, transcripts, certifications (Associates, Bachelors, Master, Ph.D.). If not from the US, include professional credential evaluation in English stating the U.S. equivalent of your degree.
- Paystubs from last three pay periods (if already in the U.S.)
Submit THREE COPIES of all documents to:
Aditi Patel, Interim Director of International Services
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Student Center Annex, Room 207
Montclair, NJ 07043
phone: 973-655-6862, fax: 973-655-7726, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Items Required from Hiring Department
Click here for a comprehensive list.