O visas are for foreign nationals who have demonstrated extraordinary ability in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics. There is no statutory limitation of the period of stay for O status.
Approval of the O-1B visa status by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) must be obtained before the employee can be placed on Montclair State University Payroll, unless the employee possesses another status that allows employment while the O-1 petition is pending.
1. The applicant & hiring department submit the items listed below, including the check(s). It takes approximately 3 weeks for IS to prepare the application.
2. After the application is received by USCIS, it takes approximately 6 months USCIS to render a decision. In the event a faster processing time is needed, “Premium Processing” may be used. The Premium Process will make a decision on the application within 15 calendar days by filling out Form I-907 and an additional payment of $1,225.
The hiring department and applicant will be notified when IS receives the approval notice. Copies of the completed petition will be kept on file in IS and a copy of the petition will be given to the Faculty/Staff candidate for their own record-keeping purposes.
Items Required from Hiring Department
- FedEx account #
- Hiring Department Information Sheet
- USCIS Filing Fee: $325 paid to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
- Premium Processing fee, if applicable: $1,225 paid to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
Submit all information to:
Aditi Patel, Interim Director of International Services
Montclair State University
1 Normal Avenue
Student Center Annex, Room 207
Montclair, NJ 07043
phone: 973-655-6862, fax: 973-655-7726, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Items Required from Faculty/Staff Member
Click here for a comprehensive list.