P visas are available for performing artists and entertainers who perform under a program that is culturally unique. Culturally unique means a style of artistic expression which is unique to a particular country, nation, society, class, ethnicity, religion, tribe, or other group of persons. There is no statutory limitation on the period of stay for P nonimmigrants. The artist or entertainer must be coming to the U.S. to participate in a cultural event(s) which will further the understanding or development of his or her art form.
P visas also cover essential support personnel.
A petition must be accompanied by:
- Affidavits, testimonials, or letters from recognized experts attesting to the authenticity of the alien’s or the group’s skills in performing, presenting, coaching, or teaching the unique or traditional art form, or
- Documentation that the performance of the alien or group is culturally unique, as evidenced by reviews in newspapers, journals, or other published material, and
- Evidence that all of the performances or presentations will be culturally unique events
1. Consult IS at least 6 months prior to the arrival of the artist.
2. The applicant & hiring department submit the items listed below, including the check(s). It takes approximately 2 weeks for IS to prepare the application.
3. The application is sent to USCIS. After it is received, it takes approximately 6 months USCIS to render a decision. In the event a faster processing time is needed, “Premium Processing” may be used. The Premium Process will make a decision on the application within 15 calendar days by filling out Form I-907 and an additional payment of $1,225.
If the artist is not already in the US, an additional step is to set an appointment at the U.S. Consulate abroad.
Items Required from Hiring Department
- Copy of signed contract with applicant
- Itinerary of activities to be performed by the applicant
- FedEx account #
- USCIS Filing Fee: $325 paid to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
- Premium Processing fee, if applicable: $1,225 paid to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security”
Items Required from Faculty/Staff Member
Click here for a comprehensive list.