Maintaining J1 Status
International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) on behalf of Montclair State University is required to comply with federal laws that require regular electronic reports through the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) to USCIS on each student in F-1 or J-1 status.
Therefore, it is important that you follow the USCIS regulations governing your J-1 status. Advisors in International Student & Scholar Services are available to help you understand your responsibilities. Please read the following rules very carefully. Following these regulations will help you maintain your legal status and avoid any future difficulties.
- Full-time enrollment in course of study during the academic year
- Undergraduate students - enroll in at least 12 undergraduate credits or more required per semester
- Graduate students - enroll in at least 9 graduate credits or more required per semester
- You must have a valid DS-2019 from Montclair State University with a valid completion date. You must apply for an extension through our office at least two months before the completion date expires.
- You must have health insurance for the entire duration of your stay that meets the following minimum benefits set by the Department of State:
- Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
- Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
- A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness
If you cannot enroll full time for any reason, you must see an advisor in the ISSS before classes begin. Under certain circumstances, USCIS may allow a J-1 student to be enrolled part-time, but an IS advisor must approve the reason before classes begin. Part time attendance without an approved excuse from an IS advisor is a violation of your status and can cause serious problems for you. Your approved excuse must be in the form of a written explanation from your Academic Advisor, Medical Doctor, etc. depending on the reason for enrolling part-time. For more information on your specific case, please consult with an ISSS advisor.