Graduate Students (Master's Degree, Certificate Programs)
Important Note About Certificate Programs
Students applying for certificate programs should be aware that an I-20 Form for the F-1 student visa can only be issued for full time certificate programs (9 credits or more per semester). Part time certificate programs are not eligible for the I-20 Form and the Student Visa. For further information as to whether a certificate program is eligible for the I-20 Form and student visa, contact International Services before applying for admission to a certificate program.
Application Procedure For All Graduate Programs
To apply as an international graduate student, please follow these steps:
- Complete the online application.
- Send us your $60 nonrefundable application fee. Make your check out to Montclair State University. If you prefer, you may pay the $60 application fee via wire transfer. To do so, please contact the Student Accounts Office at:
- Take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or English for International Opportunity (IELTS) exam and have your scores submitted to the Montclair State University Graduate School. We require minimum scores of:
- Masters – Computerized test minimum score is 213
- Masters iBT (Internet) test minimum score is 83
- Doctorate – Computerized test minimum score is 213
- Doctorate iBT (Internet) test minimum score is 117
- IELTS – Minimum acceptable score is 6.5
- For more information, visit www.toefl.org or www.ielts.org
- Montclair State’s code for test reporting is 2520
- The Graduate School does not evaluate transcripts of non-U.S. degree programs and coursework. Please arrange to have your foreign transcripts evaluated course by course by a member of the National Association of Credit Evaluation Services (NACES). To contact NACES members, please visit www.naces.org/members.htm
- Take the graduate admissions examsrequired by the program to which you are applying.
- GMAT or GRE exam is required for School of Business programs. The Montclair code for test reporting is 1T2-NK-86 for GMAT and 2520 for GRE
- GRE exam, required for all other programs. The Montclair code for test reporting is 2520.
- All required test scores must be submitted to The Graduate School.
- You may qualify for a standardized test waiver. Click here for more information.
- For more information about the graduate application process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
I-20 Application for F-1 Student Visa
Most International students enter the United States on the F-1 Student Visa. There are also other visa types that are allowed to study in the United States. If you have another visa and wish to know whether you can study with that type of visa, contact International Services.
In order to apply for and be granted the F-1 student visa status, international students must obtain the I-20 Certificate of Financial Eligibility Form from the International Services office. In order to obtain the I-20 Form, a student must show that they have sufficient financial support to cover 12 months of expenses.
Immigration regulations require that all F-1 students enroll for a full-time course load each semester. Full-time for graduate students is at least 9 credits each semester for each fall and spring semester. (Summer session enrollment is optional). International students on F-1 Student Visa pay the full–time out-of-state tuition cost.
International students must have sufficient financial support to live and attend classes and the I-20 application contains detailed instructions on what financial documents should be submitted with the application. The Form I-20 can only be issued after the student meets the following criteria:
- Student must be accepted into a full-time matriculated program at Montclair State University
- Student has submitted the I-20 application with the required documents to International Services
We recommend that a student work on both the application for admissions and the I-20 Form application at the same time. Therefore, a student should submit the online admissions application and then immediately download the I-20 application and begin preparing it.
Please make sure to submit the I-20 Form application to International Services and not to Graduate Admissions office. The contact information for International Services is:
International Services, Global Education Center
Montclair State University
22 Normal Avenue
Montclair, New Jersey 07043 U.S.A.
Phone number: 001-973-655-6862
Fax number: 001-973-655-7726
The I-20 Application can be downloaded at:
Visa Application Procedure
After the I-20 Form is issued to the student, he/she will submit it with the application for an F-1 student visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in their home country.
An appointment is required in order to apply for the F-1 visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Some Consulates may require that you apply for the appointment at least six to eight weeks in advance. Visit http://www.usembassy.gov/ to locate the embassy or consulate near you. Further information on the visa application procedure at the U.S. Consulate is available in the Pre-Arrival and Orientation Information for New International Students. This information will also be provided to the student when the form I-20 is issued.
Students Transferring from Another U.S. School to Montclair State University
Students currently in F-1 status transferring from another U.S. school will need to do the following:
- Complete the online application by visiting http://www.montclair.edu/applyinfo.html
- Apply for Montclair State University I-20 by submitting the I-20 Application
to International Services.
- Meet with your International Student Advisor at your current school and ask them to complete the Transfer In Form
- Determine the exact date you want your previous school to transfer your SEVIS record to Montclair State University. This date is called your release date. On that date, your SEVIS record will be electronically sent to Montclair State University.
- The release date you select must be between the end of the semester at your current school and beginning of the next semester at Montclair State University.
- After the release date in which your SEVIS record has been transferred to Montclair State University and you have submitted the required financial documents, we will issue your I-20 Form.
Points to remember:
You will be considered a Montclair State University student for SEVIS/immigration purposes as of the release date in which your previous school releases your SEVIS record to Montclair State.
• If you are on Optional Practical Training (OPT) -- After your SEVIS record is transferred to Montclair State University, your OPT ends as of the release date.
• If you are traveling outside the U.S., you must use your Montclair State University I-20 when you re-enter the U.S.
• While you are outside the U.S. and your F-1 visa in your passport has expired, you will need to apply for the F-1 visa with the American Embassy or Consulate in your home country.