Commencement and Convocation
Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
Sprague Football Field
Details of the 2015 Graduate Convocation will be available soon!
For information on the University Commencement, please click here
Please watch your MSU e-mail from now until the end of May, as messages will be sent to those on the graduation list regarding Commencement. MSU e-mail will be our primary way of communicating important Commencement information.
Commencement will take place on Friday, May 23, 2014. Please check back for additional information in the spring of 2014.
Commencement will take place this year during the day on Friday, May 23 at the IZOD Center, Meadowlands Sports Complex. Students expecting to graduate in May (or have graduated in August 2013 or January 2014) and planning to attend the Commencement ceremony, must order their academic attire (cap, gown, hood and tassel) no later than March 31, 2013.
To distinguish graduate students from undergraduate students during the ceremony, master's commencement attire will be red in color. Master's degree candidates must order their regalia through Herff Jones at www.herffjones.com/college/graduation by March 31, 2013. Master’s robes are $70. They may pick up their order at the University Bookstore during regular store hours beginning May 9, and continuing through May 23. Master's degree candidates must present a valid student I.D. or driver's license at the time of pick up. No orders will be accepted after March 31, 2013, and all purchases of academic attire are nonrefundable.
For more information regarding Commencement, including times, guests, etc., please visit the University Commencement page. For general graduate student questions regarding Commencement, please contact The Graduate School at email@example.com.
Please watch your MSU e-mail from now until the end of May, as messages will be sent to those on the graduation list regarding Convocation. MSU e-mail will be our primary way of communicating important Convocation information.
Click on a section link below to see specific information:
- Date & Time
- Guest Seating
- Disability Access, Seating and Parking
Tuesday, May 20, 2014 at 7:00 p.m.
Location: Sprague Football Field, Montclair State University
Student Reporting Time: 6:00 PM
Line Up In Place: 6:00 PM - 6:40 PM
Procession: 6:45 PM (Latecomers will not be able to participate)
Ceremony: 7:00 PM
Rain Date: May 21, May 22
To Request Tickets:
- Seating is limited and tickets are required. If you wish to request guest tickets, you must RSVP utilizing the online response form which can be accessed beginning April 22 through May 3 by clicking on https://oit-app2.montclair.edu/rsvp/.
- Students may request a maximum of 5 (4 guaranteed to each student) tickets for guest seating at Sprague Field. Seating is limited. Please note that graduating students do not need tickets for themselves.
- Tickets must be ordered online by 4:30 pm on Friday, May 3, 2013.
- As a courtesy to other students, you should request only those tickets that will be used since seating is limited.
To Receive Tickets:
- To receive Graduate Convocation admission tickets, students must bring a picture ID in person to College Hall, Room 226 between Thursday, May 9 - Friday, May 17, 2013.
- Tickets may be picked up Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We will hold Late Night Ticket Pick-Up on Thursday, May 9th and Tuesday, May 14th until 6:00 pm.
- **School of Business graduate students must bring a picture ID in person to Partridge Hall, Room 206 A between Thursday, May 9 - Friday, May 17, 2013. Tickets may be picked up Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We will hold Late Night Ticket Pick-Up on Thursday, May 9th and Tuesday, May 14th until 6:00 pm.**
The Graduate Convocation Ticketing system is now closed.
Graduates who have registered to attend and requested guest tickets for the May 20th event may pick them up in College Hall, Room 226 according to the following schedule:
Regular Business Hours: Wednesday May 7th - Friday May 16th between 8:30am-4:30pm
Late Night Ticket Pick-Up: Thursday, May 8th, Tuesday May 13th, and Thursday May 15th until 6:00pm
Graduate Convocation will take place outdoors on Sprague Football Field. Sprague Field is not covered, so guests should dress according to the weather.
Students expecting to graduate MUST pre-order and pay for their academic attire online by March 31, 2014. There will be extremely limited options to purchase master's academic attire at the bookstore in May, and graduates may not participate in either ceremony without it.
To order your academic attire, please visit https://www.herffjones.com/college/graduation/. For those who pre-order via the web site by the deadline, academic attire may be picked up at the University bookstore in May during normal operating hours. Graduating students are required to show their MSU ID for pick up, and all purchases are nonrefundable.
- STUDENTS MUST HAVE ACADEMIC ROBE, CAP AND TASSEL to participate (students without the red MSU graduate student academic robe will not be able to participate, there will be no exceptions). Academic hoods are NOT to be worn for Convocation but will be worn at Commencement at the IZOD Center, Meadowlands Sports Complex.
- Pocketbooks or other carried articles (including water bottles) are not permitted in the ceremony. Please leave pocketbooks or other items at home, with a guest or in the car.
- As student seating will be located on the field, please wear appropriate footwear.
- Guest access to the stadium will be at Gates 5 and 7.
- Guests will be able to enter Sprague Field no earlier than 6:00 PM
- GUESTS WITHOUT TICKETS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED - see "Ticketing"
- NO strollers are allowed on the Sprague Field bleachers (Families who bring strollers will be required to leave strollers unattended as they cannot be brought onto the bleachers.)
- Please note that from the entrance gate to guest seating there is an approximate 50 yard walk and 2 flights of stairs.
- Please make sure all guests are made aware of the seating arrangements. Any guests requiring special accomodations, please see Disability Access, Seating and Parking
- If a GRADUATE has a physical disability and/or needs wheelchair accommodations, an email must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 9, 2014 with the special accommodation request.
- Students will report to Lot 7 for registration and line- up at 6:00 PM.
- Students should go to the table of the college/school of their degree program. At check in, students will be given an index card with the student's name, phonetic spelling, college/school and program of study and important directions about the ceremony.
- Students will then proceed to line-up. Line-up will be by program and college/school in the order indicated by your index card. Please remain at all times in the number order indicated on your index card at all times.
- Students must line-up no later than 6:40 PM. Latecomers will NOT be able to participate.
- The Graduate School staff will organize and supervise line-up. Please listen to all instructions carefully.
- Guests are not permitted in the registration or line-up area.
- Please note students will remain in line before the procession begins. There is an approximate 50 yard walk and 2 flights of stairs to student seating on the field. Graduates who require special accommodations should contact Nicole Fleming at email@example.com or call 973-655-3313 by Friday, May 9, 2014.
- The Ceremony is expected to last 1 1/2 hours.
- The Convocation Ceremony will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. A processional of graduating graduate students will then be called to the stage (your name will be announced) to be congratulated personally by the dean, your department chair and faculty.
- Due to the physical requirements of the seating area and safety reasons, it will not be possible for family members to take photos during the ceremony. Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty following the ceremony.
- Guest access to the stadium will be at Gates 5 and 7.
- Free parking will be available in all surface lots and in the Red Hawk Deck after 5:00 PM
- If parking at the Red Hawk Deck, please exit at Level 2 and proceed to Sprague Football Field.
- Gate 7 is the most convenient access for guests with special need or accommodations.
- Lot 42 will be reserved for handicapped parking. Click here to view the campus map indicating the location of Lot 42. Lot 42 is located directly next to Gate 7.
- Handicapped parking is also available in the Red Hawk Deck. A shuttle will make stops at the Red Hawk Deck and the Gate 7 entrance throughout the duration of the event.
- The first 2 rows of the bleachers will be reserved for special accommodations, wheelchairs and less mobile guests.