Commencement and Convocation
Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
Sprague Football Field
For information on the University Commencement, please click here
Please watch your MSU e-mail from now until the end of May, as messages will be sent to those on the graduation list regarding Commencement. MSU e-mail will be our primary way of communicating important Commencement information.
Commencement will take place on Wednesday, May 20, 2015. For more information regarding Commencement, including times, guests, etc., please visit the University Commencement page. For general graduate student questions regarding Commencement, please contact The Graduate School at email@example.com.
Please watch your MSU e-mail from now until the end of May, as messages will be sent to those on the graduation list regarding Convocation. MSU e-mail will be our primary way of communicating important Convocation information.
Click on a section link below to see specific information:
- Date & Time
- Guest Seating
- Disability Access, Seating and Parking
- Distinguished Alumni Award Recipient
- Inclement Weather
Sunday, May 17, 2015 at 7:00 p.m.
Location: Sprague Football Field, Montclair State University
Student Reporting Time: 6:00 PM
Line Up In Place: 6:00 PM - 6:40 PM
Procession: 6:45 PM (Latecomers will not be able to participate)
Ceremony: 7:00 PM
The Graduate Convocation RSVP system is now closed.
To Request Tickets:
- Seating is limited and tickets are required. The Graduate Convocation RSVP system
- Students may request a maximum of 6 tickets (5 guaranteed to each student with the option to request one additional, should tickets become available) for guest seating at Sprague Field. Seating is limited. Please note that graduating students do not need tickets for themselves.
- Tickets must be ordered online by 4:30 pm on Monday, May 4, 2015.
- As a courtesy to other students, please request only those tickets that will be used since seating is limited.
To Pick-up Requested Tickets:
- To pick up Graduate Convocation admission tickets, students must bring a picture ID, in person, to College Hall, Room 226 between Thursday, May 7 - Friday, May 15, 2015.
- Tickets may be picked up Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We will hold Late Night Ticket Pick-Up on Thursday, May 7th, Monday, May 11th and Thursday, May 14th until 6:00 pm.
- **School of Business graduate students must bring a picture ID in person to Partridge Hall, Room 206 A between Thursday, May 9 - Friday, May 17, 2013. Tickets may be picked up Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We will hold Late Night Ticket Pick-Up on Thursday, May 9th and Tuesday, May 14th until 6:00 pm.**
To Receive Tickets:To receive Graduate Convocation admission tickets, students must bring a picture ID in person to College Hall, Room 226 between Thursday, May 9 - Friday, May 17, 2013.Tickets may be picked up Monday – Friday 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. We will hold Late Night Ticket Pick-Up on Thursday, May 9th and Tuesday, May 14th until 6:00 pm.
Graduate Convocation will take place outdoors on Sprague Football Field. Sprague Field is not covered, so guests should dress according to the weather.
Students expecting to graduate MUST pre-order and pay for their academic attire online by March 31, 2015. There will be extremely limited options to purchase master's academic attire at the bookstore in May, and graduates may not participate in either ceremony without it.
To order your academic attire, please visit https://www.herffjones.com/college/graduation/. For those who pre-order via the web site by the deadline, academic attire may be picked up at the University bookstore in May during normal operating hours. Graduating students are required to show their MSU ID for pick up, and all purchases are nonrefundable.
- STUDENTS MUST HAVE ACADEMIC GOWN, CAP AND TASSEL to participate (students without the red MSU graduate student academic robe will not be able to participate, there will be no exceptions). Academic hoods are NOT to be worn for Convocation but will be worn at Commencement at the Prudential Center.
- Pocketbooks or other carried articles (including water bottles) are not permitted in the ceremony. Please leave pocketbooks or other items at home, with a guest or in the car.
- As student seating will be located on the field, please wear appropriate footwear.
- Guest access to the stadium will be at Gates 5 and 7.
- Guests will be able to enter Sprague Field no earlier than 6:00 PM
- GUESTS WITHOUT TICKETS WILL NOT BE ADMITTED - see "Ticketing"
- NO strollers are allowed on the Sprague Field bleachers (Families who bring strollers will be required to leave strollers unattended as they cannot be brought onto the bleachers.)
- Please note that from the entrance gate to guest seating there is an approximate 50 yard walk and 2 flights of stairs.
- Please make sure all guests are made aware of the seating arrangements. Any guests requiring special accomodations, please see Disability Access, Seating and Parking
- If a GRADUATE has a physical disability and/or needs wheelchair accommodations, an e-mail must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 8, 2015 with the special accommodation request.
- Students will report to Lot 7 for registration and line- up at 6:00 PM.
- Students should go to the table of the college/school of their degree program. At check in, students will be given an index card with the student's name, phonetic spelling, college/school and program of study and important directions about the ceremony.
- Students will then proceed to line-up. Line-up will be by program and college/school in the order indicated by your index card. Please remain in the number order indicated on your index card at all times.
- Students must line-up no later than 6:40 PM. Latecomers will NOT be able to participate.
- The Graduate School staff will organize and supervise line-up. Please listen to all instructions carefully.
- Guests are not permitted in the registration or line-up area.
- Please note students will remain in line before the procession begins. There is an approximate 50 yard walk and 2 flights of stairs to student seating on the field. Graduates who require special accommodations should contact Nicole Fleming at email@example.com or call 973-655-3313 by Friday, May 8, 2015.
- The Ceremony is expected to last 1 1/2 hours.
- The Convocation Ceremony will begin with a welcoming address by President Susan Cole. A processional of graduating students will then be called to the stage (your name will be announced) to be congratulated personally by the dean, your department chair and faculty.
- Due to the physical requirements of the seating area and safety reasons, it will not be possible for family members to take photos during the ceremony. Please plan to take photos with family and/or faculty following the ceremony.
- Gate 7 is the most convenient access for guests with special need or accommodations.
- Please park in the Red Hawk Parking Deck and take the elevator upto Level 2. An ADA shuttle will be available to take you directly to the Sprague Field entrance where your bags will be searched. Shuttle service will run continuously beginning 90 minutes prior to Convocation and tapering off once the event begins. Return shuttle service will ramp up again 15 minutes before the end of Convocation and terminate 45 minutes after the event ends.
- The first 2 rows of the bleachers will be reserved for special accommodations, wheelchairs and less mobile guests.
Susan Head '75 MA
Susan Head is the Senior Vice President and Senior Philanthropic Specialist for Wells Fargo. She joined Wells Fargo is 1981 and is responsible for charitable and nonprofit relationships in New Jersey and New York. Additionally, she provides consultative support for Abbott Downing’s foundation and endowment clients in these markets.
Head has more than 25 years of experience working with charitable and nonprofit organizations. As a Philanthropic Specialist, she is responsible for overseeing the administration and investments of endowments, foundations, and planned giving assets. In addition, she helps not-for-profit clients and donors explore which charitable giving strategies may work best, given the not-for-profit organizations and donor’s unique sets of needs.
It is through Head's efforts that Montclair State University received financial support for the Cali School of Music Building Fund and the Cali Connect Program, and for the Shanghai Quartet Scholarship from the Frank and Lydia Bergen Foundation. She is the 2006 recipient of the Montclair State University Carpe Diem Award.
Head earned a BA from Western Maryland College, an MA from Montclair State University and an MBA from Fairleigh Dickinson University. In addition, she holds the designation of Certified Financial Planner (CFP®). Head is active in various civic and community service organizations including serving as Board Chair and co-chair of the Development Committee with the Trinitas Medical Center Foundation.
In case of inclement weather, please call the weather hotline at 973-655-7810 for information regarding cancellation of Convocation.