General Information

The menu below provides you with practical information on things you need to know about as a Montclair State University graduate student. While the Graduate School staff is always available to help you, we encourage you to consult this website throughout your time at Montclair.

What You Need to Know About


A critical partner in your graduate school experience, your Graduate Program Coordinator can help you with course selection, overall curriculum planning, research opportunities, and career goals. For a list of Graduate Program Coordinators, click here or visit the WESS system’s Student Services page.

Top of Page

Campus Resources

Click here for links to Montclair State’s schools and colleges,  academic and non-academic services and programs, admission contacts, and more.

Top of Page

Directory Information and Privacy Act

  • The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (Buckley Amendment) permits the university to release directory information about a student unless the student specifically requests that this information be withheld.
  •  If you do not wish to have directory information released, please notify the Office of the Dean of Students (Student Center, 4th Floor) within the first week of each semester.
  • For more information, please refer to the Academic Regulations & General Information section of the Schedule of Courses booklet.

Top of Page

Disability Resource Center

The Disability Resource Center provides support services to students with physical, psychological, sensory, chronic medical, or learning disabilities. Should you need help with one of these areas, please contact the Disability Resource Center. Our services include:

  • Academic accommodations
  • Equipment loans and adaptive technology
  • Specialized academic advising and counseling services
  • Priority registration
  • Parking and housing accommodations

Top of Page


Please click here for all of our Graduate School forms. Note that links marked with “PDF” allow you to download and print the forms. Links with a full “hyperlink” must be submitted online. Follow all form instructions carefully before submitting them to The Graduate School or to your Graduate Program Coordinator.

Top of Page

Graduate Assistantships

The Graduate School offers approximately 200 graduate assistantships for first-time master’s degree seeking graduate students who are interested in an opportunity to gain an academic experience that directly complements the student's degree program curriculum. All assistantships are diverse in nature and encompass a wide variety of responsibilities and duties while allowing students to also achieve their academic goals. Assistantships will offer opportunities to work with faculty on research, assist faculty with instructional support, and/or be related to the student’s clinical or field work.

Top of Page

Graduate Housing

Limited housing for graduate students is available only in The Village at Little Falls, which provides year-round housing for undergraduate juniors and seniors, graduate students and members of our international student living/learning community.

This four-building, 848-bed apartment-style complex features:

  • A separate administrative building
  • 5-story residential buildings that each accommodate 43 residents and a community assistant on each floor
  • Four-person apartments with:
    • Either four single rooms or two single rooms and one double room
    • Fully furnished living space
    • Two bathrooms
    • A full kitchen
  • A fitness room
  • Half basketball court
  • University Police Substation
  • Outdoor swimming pool

The Office of Residence Life accommodates graduate students on a first come/first served basis.

For more information, please contact:

The Office of Residence Life
4th floor Bohn Hall

International graduate students should fill out the On-Campus Housing Request Form and contact OIS for additional information:

Beth Calamia Scheckel
International Student and Scholar Advisor
International Services, Global Education

Top of Page

Graduate Program Coordinators

A critical partner in your graduate school experience, your Graduate Program Coordinator can help you with course selection, overall curriculum planning, research opportunities, comprehensive experience, and career goals. For a list of Graduate Program Coordinators, click here, visit the WESS system’s Student Records page, or call 973-655-5147.

Top of Page

Health Insurance

  • All full-time graduate students are required to have accident/sickness insurance. Your bill for tuition and fees will include a premium to cover this cost.
  • If you are currently covered under another health insurance plan, you may deduct the cost of the Montclair State premium from your bill after completing a waiver card and returning it to the Students Accounts Office in Room 218, College Hall.
  • Part-time students or dependents of students may enroll in the Montclair State plan by completing the appropriate card that is also available at the Students Accounts Office.
  • For more information about Health Insurance, go to the University Health Center.

Top of Page

International Students and Students Who Have Studied in Other Countries

  • Foreign students who have not earned a degree in the US or any other English-speaking country, are required to take an English Language Proficiency Test at Montclair State. This course is in addition to the TOEFL or IELTS.
  • You will not be permitted to register for classes until the results of this English test have been received.
  • To obtain a schedule of the English Language Proficiency Test and to register for this test, call 973-655-6955. 

All international students should visit the Office for International Students (OIS), at 215 Stone Hall, and which can be reached at 973-655-6862. OIS is responsible for the general growth, development, and welfare of all international students, scholars and faculty at the university. OIS also serves as an advocate for all members of Montclair’s international community in matters pertaining to the attainment of educational goals.

Top of Page

On-Campus Employment Opportunities‌‌

Graduate Student Worker, CARTS

Marketing Assistant, Global Education Center

Student Support, Faculty Senate

Hawk on Wheels Graduate Student Leader

Copywriter and Social Media Support, Online & Extended Learning

Top of Page

Taking Care of Yourself

As a full- or part-time graduate student, you will face an intensive academic workload that can add stress and pressure to your busy life. You’ll juggle classes, research, writing, and the expectations of faculty and peers with the demands of every day living, family, friends, and jobs.

You can maintain your perspective – and reduce stress –  by managing your time wisely, getting enough rest and exercise, and following a healthy diet. Visit for tips on time and stress management. If you know of additional links, books, or resources that might be helpful to your fellow students, please let us know. Just email us at .

The office of Counseling and Psychological Services can help when you are feeling overwhelmed. To make an appointment, call 973-655-5211 or visit them at Russ Hall. All counseling is confidential.

Top of Page


It isn’t always easy to manage the increased workloads, strict deadlines, extensive research papers, and exams that define your life as a graduate student.

The Center for Academic Development and Assessment (CADA) offers workshops, tutoring, and other resources and services to help you manage your graduate studies effectively. Specific services focus on:

  • Tutoring and testing
  • Test-taking strategies
  • Strategies for coping with test anxiety
  • Study and time management skills
  • Writing skills and research comprehension for research papers
  • Note-taking and active reading

For more information, contact

The Center for Academic Development and Assessment
Office Location: Webster Hall, Rooms 107, 109, 111, 112, 113
Tutoring Location: Webster Hall, Room 117
973-655-4476 or 973-655-5425

Spring & Fall Office Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

Summer Hours (June, July & August): Monday - Thursday: 8:00 am - 5:15 pm

The Center for Writing Excellence (CWE) is available to all university students (including graduate students), faculty, staff, and alumni who are committed to developing and improving as writers.  Sessions with experienced writing consultants are designed to provide help on every aspect of the writing process, with the goal of enabling writers to achieve long-term improvement, confidence, and independence.  We welcome Montclair State University writers in any stage of the writing process, in any discipline. 

Conferences are generally a maximum of 25 minutes, and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. We can also schedule appointments in advance, and we are now offering online consultations. There is no charge for these services. Graduate students may request extended appointments of 50 minutes by speaking with our staff or calling the CWE: (973) 655-7442.

We are open year round, during all sessions.

Specifically, we can help you with:

  • Getting started: Understanding the writing task and generating ideas
  • Drafting: Developing a focus and an argument, selecting appropriate evidence, and organizing your ideas
  • Revising: Choosing strategies to improve drafts
  • Polishing: Learning to edit your own writing

To prepare for your session, come with:

  • Assignment or task
  • Text for course (if you are taking one)
  • All work you have done to get started (any freewriting and notes)
  • A draft of your paper or other document (if you have one)
  • Your goal for the conference
  • Most important, specific question or writing problem for which you would like help

What we do not do:

  • Proofread or edit your papers for you, but we will help you learn how to do so
  • Interpret (if you are a student) comments your instructor made on your paper or discuss grades, but we will look at your efforts to revise
  • Review more than 4-5 pages at a time during a 25 minute appointment, though you are welcome to return

For more information, contact the Center for Writing Excellence.

Call:    (973) 655-7442
Visit:   Bohn Hall (located to the left of the main entrance of Bohn Hall)
Hours (Regular Fall and Spring Terms only): Monday, Tuesday & Thursday: 10 am - 8 pm
                                                                     Wednesday: 10 am - 1 pm; 2:30 pm - 8 pm
                                                                     Fridays: 10 am - 4 pm
                                                                     Saturdays: 11 am - 4 pm
                                                                     Sundays: 4 pm - 9 pm

Top of Page