New Student Checklist

Welcome to Montclair State University! We have compiled a checklist of things you will need to do as you enroll as a graduate student. While The Graduate School staff is always available to help you, we encourage you to use this website regularly as a resource.

What You Need to Do


What is NEST?

NEST (Network Engagement and Student/Staff Transactions) is the primary web gateway for student and faculty/staff self-service. NEST will give you single-sign-on access for many current and upcoming products including Self-Service Banner (SSB). Please note: New Students log in with their CWID and Pin provided in their acceptance e-mail. Once you set up your NetID and change your password, you will be required to wait for 24 hours before logging into NEST. We recommend you register for classes in NEST using your CWID & Pin BEFORE setting up your NETID. 

Click here to be taken directly to the NEST!

Click here to learn how to read the class schedule.

Click here to view the Spring 2017 registration time calendar.

Click here to learn how to register for classes.

Through NEST students are able to:

  • Register for classes
  • Pay tuition bills
  • Review academic audit
  • Review financial aid award information
  • Access the Spring 2017 University catalog via CourseLeaf
  • Access Quicklinks to Canvas, Email, Library & the University directory

Got questions?

For more information about NEST and the other upcoming OneMontclair software, please visit the OneMontclair website. If you have any questions about the NEST, please contact

Top of page


All new graduate students must set up their NetIDs. Please note: New Students log into NEST with their CWID and Pin provided in their acceptance e-mail. Once you set up your NetID and change your password, you will be required to wait for 24 hours before logging into NEST. We recommend you register for classes in NEST using your CWID & Pin BEFORE setting up your NETID.   

  • Give you a unique electronic identity for access to university online services, including email
  • Set up your email account so that you can:
    • Receive vital university communications
    • Communicate with faculty and fellow graduate students
    • Gain off-campus access to library databases and other resources
    • Participate in various campus listservs for up-to-date event, deadline, and campus news
    • Forward email from your Montclair account to your personal email account

Please note that you MUST sign up for a Montclair email account as you will be held responsible for the information and campus notifications sent via the Montclair email system. The University, as well as, The Graduate School's main source of communication is the Montclair State University email address. It is extremely imperative you check your Montclair email address. Once you set up your MSU email account, you will have the option of forwarding your MSU email to your personal email account.

For more information, please contact the University Help Desk at 973-655-7971.

Top of page

Financial Aid

US citizens and permanent residents are eligible for student loans, which are the primary funding source for graduate students. In order to be eligible for any kind of student loan, you must be registered for at least five credits, or half-time, during a semester.

Please click here to learn about financial aid options for international students.

Financial Aid Application Process and Deadlines

Top of page

New Student Orientation

New Student Orientation will take place on Thursday, August 24th, 2017 from 4:00-5:00pm. Please visit this page in July for registration information.

Top of page

Graduate Development Conference

The Graduate Development Conference will take place on Thursday, August 24th, 2017 from 5:00-8:00pm. Please visit this page in July for registration information.

Top of page

Health Insurance

Montclair State requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate students to carry health insurance. For a small fee, MSU has arranged for a plan to be available for students who have no other coverage. Full-time students are automatically enrolled in this plan and charged the insurance premium. Students have the option to waive the plan if covered by another carrier. Waivers must be submitted by the established deadlines. To waive the plan  and for more information on the health coverage plan, please visit:

Top of page

Identification Cards

Registered Montclair State University students will need a Montclair State University ID card to use the library, computer labs and access Red Hawk dollars – the money placed on your ID card to spend on meals, books, etc.

  • Click here for the ID Office, Student Center, 1st Floor, 973-655-4147
  • Click here for step-by-step directions on how to upload a photograph for your ID Card

Top of page


All incoming students are required to submit proof of immunization as a pre-condition of enrollment.

  • New Jersey State Law (P.L. 2000c.25) requires that all full- and part-time undergraduate and graduate students provide proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella as a prerequisite to enrollment.
  • Documented proof of immunity must be submitted to University Health Center, Blanton Hall, prior to enrollment.
  • New Jersey also requires that all incoming full-time students who will be living in Montclair State University residence halls must provide proof of immunization against meningococcus (meningitis) as a condition of attendance.
  • Failure to submit the required documentation will result in the denial of future registration privileges.
  • You can obtain additional information and Montclair State Immunization Information Forms from the University Health Center.
  • You may fax or mail original documentation signed by a licensed healthcare provider, a copy of a signed and authorized school record, or the completed and signed Montclair State Immunization Information Form to the University Health Center .
  • University Health Center Phone: 973-655-4361 Fax: 973-655-4159

Top of page

International Students only: Registration & English Language Proficiency Requirement

You must contact the Graduate Program Coordinator / Doctoral Program Director for your program as soon as you arrive in the United States to develop a work program. This is a formal statement of the academic requirements for your degree and must be completed before you can register for classes.

  • Contact The Graduate School regarding registration procedures and specific information about your program.
  • Please be aware that students with F-1 Student Visas must register for at least nine credits each semester in order to maintain their immigration status.
  • International students who earned undergraduate (or graduate) degrees in a country where English is not the official language are required to take the MSU ESL placement test and score higher than level IV. Students who do not place at this level will be provided with a list of ESL courses needed to reach the acceptable level of English proficiency. These courses will be added to the student’s program of study, and at least one course MUST be taken in the first semester of graduate study. While all students will be required to take the MSU ESL test, only degree seeking students will be required to register for ESL coursework. Additionally, some Graduate Program Coordinators may decide to require all ESL courses be taken by their students. Please note that students may not register for classes until they take the ESL placement test. Please click here for testing location and dates.

 Top of page


  • All graduate students must purchase a parking permit and register any vehicle parked in surface lots. The parking permit must be displayed as outlined in the Parking Rules and Regulations.  
  • Commuter students may park only in General Parking Lots: 18-28, 30, 32, 40, and 41.
  • Hourly paid parking is available in the Red Hawk Parking Deck.
  • A limited number of Red Hawk parking passes are available each year.
  • Paid parking is also available in metered spaces for a maximum of two hours.
  • For more information, please contact Standard Parking, Level 1 of the Red Hawk Deck at 973-655-7580.
  • Campus maps are available at The Graduate School Office, Parking Services, and the Student Center Information Desk.

Top of page

Paying Your Term Bill

We accept payment in the form of cash, checks or money orders, E-check, and credit cards. Payments can be made in person or online and we also have payment plans available. A mandatory New Student Enrollment Fee will be assessed to your account. This fee may be assessed to your account before or after you pay the term bill. Please note that statements will no longer be mailed to students. You must log into NEST for your account summary. For more information on how to pay your term bill, please visit the payment options section of the Office of the Bursar's website.

Top of page


The Graduate School registration system is entirely online on NEST.

You may also view the Schedule of Courses online through NEST. An up-to-date listing of courses is posted on NEST, under course sections, or course section search.

To register for courses through NEST, click here.

Top of page

University Bookstore

You can buy your textbooks, computers, software, clothing, supplies and more at the University Bookstore.

To purchase textbooks, visit the Bookstore, located on the firsts floor of the Student Center, Monday through Saturday, or you may go online.  Online ordering is easy and convenient if you know your class schedule and semester. Here’s how to order:

  • Once you select the appropriate term, the bookstore website will help you select your department, course, and section.
  • Once you select the right class, the site will display a list of required and recommended textbooks for that class.
  • Put your books in your shopping cart and continue to order your books for each of your classes.

Click here to learn more about the University Bookstore, or call 973-655-5460. You can also email the Bookstore at

Top of page