International Services – Immigration Process

Students who are eligible for admission will be required to submit notarized statements documenting sufficient funds to pay necessary educational and other costs to International Services (OIS).

Once Montclair State accepts your financial documentation, the OIS will issue either an I-20 “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant (F-1) Student Status” OR an IAP-66 “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status.”

Along with your certificate, you will receive further information about orientation, registration, immigration regulations, and step-by-step arrival instructions.

Once you receive the I-20 Certificate, you must visit the United States Embassy or Consulate in your home country to obtain your F-1 Student Visa. The requirements for the F-1 Student Visa may vary from country to country and an issuance of the I-20 Certificate is not a guarantee of receiving an F-1 Visa. You should bring the following to the US Embassy or Consulate:

  • I-20 Certificate
  • Passport
  • Additional documentation as requested

After you receive your F-1 Student Visa, you should follow OIS instructions to arrange your transportation to the United States.

Please contact International Services with questions about the admissions process.