Ph.D. in Teacher Education and Teacher Development
Candidates for the Ph.D. in Teacher Education and Teacher Development will complete a minimum of 60 semester hours beyond a relevant master's degree from an accredited institution. Those 60 semester hours are distributed as follows:
- Proseminars designed to introduce students to the central questions in teacher education and teacher development and matters of student diversity, develop fundamental knowledge and skills, and create a professional learning community (6 semester hours).
- Core courses intended to cultivate specialized knowledge and skills regarding the design and implementation of programs of pre-service teacher preparation, induction of novice teachers, and the ongoing professional development of in-service teachers (21 semester hours).
- Electives intended to give students options in deepening their understanding of specific areas in teacher education (9 semester hours).
- Research courses that give participants the tools needed by critical consumers and producers of research (12 semester hours).
- Dissertation research in which students demonstrate their ability to apply specialized knowledge in the field and research knowledge and skills to empirically investigate an important problem in teacher education (12 semester hours).
- Courses in the program (3 semester hours each) are listed below.
The course requirements listed below apply to those students admitted on or after Fall 2013. Anyone admitted prior to this term should refer to their Analysis of Academic Progress on WESS or see your academic advisor for your official program of study.
TEACHER EDUCATION & TEACHER DEVELOPMENT
Complete 60 semester hours including the following 8 requirements:
Complete 2 courses for 6 semester hours:
TETD 801 Policy Perspectives on Teaching and Teacher Education 3 TETD 802 Teaching and Teacher Education in a Diverse Society 3
Complete the following 7 courses:
TETD 803 Teacher Learning Across the Professional Continuum 3 TETD 804 Educational Equity and School Change 3 TETD 805 Issues in Teacher Preparation and the Education of English Language Learners 3 TETD 806 The Practice of Teacher Education and Teacher Development 3 TETD 807 Studying Teacher Quality 3 TETD 808 Practicum in Teaching and Teacher Education 3 TETD 817 Research in Teacher Education 3
Complete 9 semester hours from the following (other appropriate courses may be used with written approval of program advisor):
TETD 809 Language and Literacy in Sociocultural Context 3 TETD 810 Literacy and Digital Technologies in Schools and Teacher Education 3 TETD 812 History of Teacher Education 3 TETD 816 Selected Topics in Teacher Education and Teacher Development 3
Complete 2 requirement(s):
Complete the following 2 courses, plus 1 additional course to be determined by the department:
ELRS 820 Qualitative Methods for Educational Research 3-4 ELRS 821 Quantitative Methods for Educational Research 3-4
Complete 1 course from the following:
ELRS 822 Advanced Methods of Quantitative Inquiry in Education 3 ELRS 823 Advanced Qualitative Research in Education 3
Complete for 12 semester hours.
EDCO 900 Dissertation Advisement 3-12
Successfuly complete the qualifying portfolio, examination or assessment requirement.
ADMISSION TO CANDIDACY
Following completion of pre-dissertation research courses and qualifying exam, you may be admitted to candidacy.
Complete a dissertation in accordance with Graduate School and doctoral program requirements.