Combined BA/MA in General Psychology
Contact: Dr. Deborah Fish Ragin (973) 655-4176 or Dr. Yoav Arieh (973) 655-7639
What is the BA/MA in General Psychology?
The BA/MA in General Psychology is an accelerated program. It is designed for students who wish to obtain both their BA and MA in five years. It is best suited for students who know they want to pursue either a doctorate in psychology or who want to obtain intensive training in research design and data analysis for entry-level positions in industries such as health, pharmaceutical, banking, insurance, advertising, or consulting.
The BA/MA in General Psychology provides opportunities for:
- early graduate study
- two to three years of mentored research training in psychology beginning in the junior year
- presentation at research conferences and publication in recognized research journals beginning in the junior year
- on-point training and preparation in research design, data management, and data analysis for students who desire a master's degree as a terminal degree
- a strong research foundation for candidates for doctoral programs in psychology
Four Reasons to Consider a BA/MA in General Psychology:
- The five-year BA/MA responds to the changing educational and training needs of students. It prepares students to enter the world of work as entry-level professionals in research or for continued study in psychology.
- The program emphasizes the development of effective written and oral communication skills useful in industry and in academia.
- The focus on research will hone students' quantitative reasoning skills through mentored research, data analysis, and interpreation.
- Students will gain valuable research experience as part of a research team and will master the skills necessary to manage, manipulate, analyze, and interpret large databases.