Eligibility for Non-degree and Pre-Decision Status
General Non-Degree and Professional Non-Degree are the two Non-Degree classifications for students just seeking to take courses without fully matriculating. Applicants must submit the online application and an official transcript from the school where they received their highest degree.
Please Note: All non-degree students who hold a bachelor’s degree will be assessed graduate fees regardless of the level of the courses being taken. Also, non-degree and pre-decision students are not eligible for financial aid.
Students under this status are eligible to take up to two courses(six credits). Please note that not all programs allow non-degree students to enroll in their courses (see “Program-specific information” link above). Contact the Graduate School for the latest information. Students who later decide to apply and are admitted to a graduate program may transfer a maximum of six credits (if applicable to the program) into a graduate degree program with the Graduate Program Coordinator's approval. Admission to this status requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in the applicant's bachelor's degree program and proof of degree conferred.
This status is appropriate for students who are NOT interested in applying for a Montclair State University graduate degree program and belong to one of the following categories:
- Seeking career advancement, professional development, or personal enrichment,
- Satisfying accreditation/licensure requirements, seeking continuing professional credits
- Applying for certification through the State of New Jersey or an outside agency, or
- Taking undergraduate courses to prepare for a graduate degree program.
This status allows students to take as many classes as they would like, but they must maintain a continuous matriculation in order to take classes from semester to semester. However, students who later decide to apply and are admitted to a graduate program may only transfer a maximum of six credits (if applicable to the program) into a graduate degree program with Graduate Program Coordinator's approval, regardless of the number of credits taken. Admission to this status requires a minimum GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale in the applicant's bachelor's degree program and proof of degree conferred.
Pre-Decision is an option for applicants who wish to attend in the upcoming semester, but whose degree-application to Montclair State University remains incomplete as the start of the semester approaches. Pre-Decision is a non-degree status which allows applicants to take up to two courses (six credits) while they complete their application requirements. A separate application is not required and therefore, we do not require an additional application fee.
- A maximum of 6 graduate credits may be taken and, if applicable, credited toward your program after admission.
- You may register for courses on a space-available basis only; students already admitted to these programs are given priority.
- Prerequisite requirements must have been met. Refer to the course descriptions at our website: www.montclair.edu.
- This status lasts for one semester only. You must complete the application process during that time and be offered admission to be able to register for subsequent terms.
- Financial aid is NOT available for students in this status.
- Authorization to register as a Pre-Decision does not guarantee admission to the program for which you applied; once your application is completed the standard criteria will be applied in making the admission decision.
- High-level performance in pre-decision classes does not guarantee admission to your program of interest.
- This status is not available to international applicants seeking F-1 visas.
To be considered for Pre-Decision status, you must submit the following:
- The Online Application
- Your Official Transcript indicating receipt of an undergraduate degree with a minimum 2.5 GPA*
- $60 non-refundable application fee
- Submitted a Pre-Decision Status Request Form
*Official transcripts bear the raised seal of the institution and must be in a sealed envelope with the registrar signature or seal. For some programs a higher GPA is required. Please see Program Restrictions below.
Applicants who did not receive an undergraduate or graduate degree from a U.S. accredited college or university must also:
- Submit the required course-by-course transcript evaluation, evaluated by a NACES member (www.naces.org)
- Submit official TOEFL scores if they do not have an undergraduate or graduate degree from a country where English is the native language. (Scores must be less than two years old)
- Also, as indicated above, applicants holding or seeking F-1 (student) visas are not eligible for this status.
This status applies to applicants who are graduate students in good standing at another institution who wish to take courses at Montclair State University. Applicants must complete the online application (Non-Degree- Visiting Student) and submit official transcripts from their current institution. Upon registration, students will be assessed a non-refundable $25 Visiting Student fee.
Unemployment Tuition Waiver
Pre-Qualification to Apply for the Unemployment Tuition Waiver Program
Students interested in studying at Montclair State University under the Unemployment Tuition Waiver are allowed to do so as a non-degree seeking student only. However, they must meet the same academic standards required of the Professional Non-Degree options and may only take classes under programs that allow Non-Degree students. Interested applicants should fill out the regular web application, selecting either Professional Non-Degree or General Non-Degree status along with the Unemployment Tuition Waiver option.
Deadlines and Eligibility Requirements
Please note the following:
- Academic approval is granted for a single semester only. You must complete this process for each subsequent semester you wish to be considered for the Unemployment Tuition Waiver Program.
- Pre-qualification to study under the Unemployment Tuition Waiver permits you to enroll in a course(s) as a non-degree seeking student if you are approved to receive the tuition waiver. It does not imply or guarantee acceptance into a degree-seeking program, which must be applied for separately after you are finished with your studies under the Unemployment Tuition Waiver program.
- This application grants pre-qualification to study at the University in general. Additional authorization from the Tuition Waiver Program Coordinator will be required to receive the tuition waiver.
- Failure to provide full and accurate information on this form may result in a significant delay or inability to process your application.
- A maximum of 12 credits taken under a non-degree status such as the Unemployment Tuition Waiver program may be applied toward the degree should a student choose to matriculate into a degree-seeking program.