As you separate from the university, there are some things you will need to do to help make it a smooth process:
- Notifications – two to four weeks in advance of your last day is best practice
- On-line forms
- University property and fines
- Ensure proper address is in Workday
Please read the information below for details on these processes. We thank you for your time and contribution to Montclair State University.
Who do you notify first?
When you know you are leaving Montclair State University:
- Resignation – Notify your direct supervisor and supply them with a letter of resignation, include your last day.
- Retirement – Request an appointment with the benefits department by calling ext 5293 or emailing email@example.com. After your retirement date is set, please notify your direct supervisor and supply them with a letter of retirement, include your last day.
Exit Survey -- Optional
For continuous improvement, employees are encouraged to communicate their employment experience at Montclair State University by completing an on-line Exit Survey. A link will emailed to you, from HR, if you have turned in a resignation or retirement letter to HR.
If you do not see this email, contact HR.
Post-Employment Restrictions On-Line Verification – Required
Acknowledge receipt: It is a New Jersey’s requirement for you to review the NJs States Ethics Commission on post-employment rules and regulations.
A link will emailed to you, from HR, if you have turned in a resignation or retirement letter to HR.
If you do not see this email, contact HR. You must acknowledge, in the online form, that your received this information
It is important for to review the NJs States Ethics Commission on post-employment rules and regulations.
COBRA paperwork will be mailed to you to your home address in Workday. If you plan to move, please update your address in Workday.
For those who need assistance filling out the on-line documents, access to a computer or to receive any documents in a paper format, please contact HR at 5293 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
University Property and Fines
Work with your direct supervisor to ensure all university equipment and property, used while employed at MSU, is returned.
An email will be sent to the departments listed below, after we receive your retirement or resignation letter.
- Division of Information Technology
- Finance and Treasury
Each department is to contact you if there is a need to retrieve items or collect fines. This includes but is not limited to:
- American Express cards
- Petty cash reconciliation
- Keys and/or swipe cards
- Computers, Laptops, Tablets, Cell Phones and other IT related equipment
- Library Books and/or fines
- Parking passes and/or fines
Address Update in Workday
- Log in to Workday, prior to your last day to ensure that we have the most current and up to date mailing address for any potential tax information or other correspondence that may need to be mailed to you.
- We also, recommend that you input a personal email address and phone, in the event the university needs to contact you.
- How to Update Contacts Guide
For all questions and appointment requests
Contact HR at HR@montclair.edu or call ext 5293
- Systems access – you will have access to systems for 14 days after your last day
- Continuation of Group Life Insurance – If you are interested in continuing your life insurance, please read and follow instructions. This must be done within 31 days of last day worked. (For employees in a pension)
- Leave Balances – Your leave balances will be available after your last day. If you have access to workday, you can look it up. If it’s after the 14 day cut off, please submit a Workday Service ticket by emailing email@example.com or calling 7971, option 4
- Paystub – Should you need a copy of a paystub, please submit a Workday Service ticket by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 7971, option 4
- W-2– To print W-2s
- Employment Verification – click the link for information