2017-2018 Audition Dates
Applications must be completed no later than two weeks before a chosen audition date.
- Friday, November 3, 2017:
- 2-5 pm (Transfer and graduate applicants)
- Friday, February 2, 2018:
- 2-5 pm (All applicants except percussionists)
- Saturday, February 3, 2018:
- 9 am – 2 pm (All applicants)
- Friday, February 16, 2018:
- 2-5 pm (All applicants)
- Saturday, February 17, 2018:
- 9 am – 2 pm (All applicants except strings)
- Thursday, May 10, 2018:
- 9 am – 2 pm (Transfer and graduate applicants)
Submit an application to Montclair State University
Before applying to the Cali School, all prospective students must first complete the application to the University offices of Undergraduate or Graduate Admissions:
Apply to the Cali School
After applying to the University, all students must apply to the Cali School through Acceptd.
- Must audition on primary instrument or voice
- Interview with faculty member
- Jazz Music Education majors only – Audition information and Acceptd application is available on the Jazz Studies page
- Transfer students only – To have faculty consider transfer of music history credits, submit a course syllabus for each music history course you have completed
Graduate applicants (MA, MAT, BM & MAT combined, and Post Baccalaureate Certification applicants):
- Post Baccalaureate Certification applicants must schedule an audition and interview through Accptd.
- Master of Arts in Teaching Certification (MAT) applicants do not have to audition. However they must contact Professor Lisa DeLorenzo, the Graduate Education Coordinator, via email at email@example.com to schedule an interview.
- Master of Arts (MA) applicants do not have to audition. However they must contact Professor Lisa DeLorenzo, the Graduate Education Coordinator, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule an interview.
Note: Faculty members interview all prospective students in Music Education in order to assess suitability.
1. Review the audition requirements for your academic level and area of interest:
2. For an online audition, prepare an audition video including specific requirements for your instrument or voice and upload it on the Acceptd website. For live auditions, be prepared to
- Perform on your primary instrument without an accompanist, voice with an accompanist to be provided
- Bring your own instrument (exception for percussion)
- Bring your own music as an instrumentalist, and music for the accompanist as a vocalist
- Take music theory test (used for placement if you are accepted to the School; different tests for freshmen, transfers, post-baccalaureate and graduate applicants)
- Transfer applicants only: submit a course syllabus for each music history course for faculty review and approval if you want to transfer credits
- Applications will be processed within two weeks.
- Applicants must satisfy both the audition criteria of the Cali School of Music as well as the academic criteria of the University.
- Non-music majors may only take general education music courses.
- Music minors are not currently offered.
- Musical Theatre auditions are not held at the Cali School: Apply here