Latin America Resources
Guides and References
Resources on Latin America and Caribbean
Gateway Sites & Specialized Search Engines
- CaribSeek (search engine focusing on the Caribbean)
- Internet Resources for Latin America (gateway from the New Mexico State University)
- LANIC (the Latin American Network Information Center is one of the best guides to resources on Latin America and the Caribbean)
- Latin America: Subject Resources (from the University of Michigan)
- Latin American and Caribbean Library Links (from the U. of Illinois at Urbana)
- AJR NEWSLINK (a very good directory to media sources, such as newspapers, magazines, radio, TV. Scroll down to the section on The Americas. When you get to web site scroll down to the section on The Americas and click that link)
- Caribbean Daily News (information on current affairs and the latest news on Caribbean)
- Central American Daily News (information on current affairs and the latest news on Central America)
- Kidon Media Link (news sources from the Americas)
- Latin America News - LANIC
- South American Daily (information on current affairs and the latest news on South America)
- Caribbean Maps (From the UN University Int'l Network On Water, Environment and Health)
- Central America (from Maps.com)
- Historical Maps of the Americas (from the U. of Texas Perry-Castaneda Map Collection)
- Map of Latin America (available on-line at the Perry-Castaneda Library Map Collection at the University of Texas at Austin).
- Online Guide to Early Map Images of the Caribbean (from the Research Inst. for the Study of Man)
- South America (from Maps.com)
- More links to map resources can be found at Sprague Library's Guide to Map Resources on the Internet
Country Information and Statistics
- Columbia Encyclopedia (6th edition; good source for background information from a general encyclopedia).
- Country Reports - Country information from around the world.
- CountryWatch - Up-to-date information, data, and news on the countries of the world. Available only to Montclair State University patrons.
- Iberia, the Caribbean, and Latin American ongoing project by the Library Of Congress, Portals To The World provides authoritative, in-depth information about the nations of the world.
- World Fact book a CIA yearly publication provides very basic data on individual countries. In the "Select A Country" drop down menu select the Latin American or Caribbean country.
- More links to sources of country information can be found at Sprague Library's International and Foreign Government Resources guide.
Sources for Articles on Latin America and the Caribbean
Specialized Databases and Indexes
- Bibliografia Mesoamericana ("a database of nearly 60,000 volumes of the published literature pertaining to the anthropology of Mesoamerica, including archaeology, ethnography, ethnohistory, art history, linguistics, physical anthropology, and other related disciplines")
- Handbook of Latin American Studies (HLAS Online) (From the Library of Congress. Continuously published since 1935, the Handbook offers all users an essential guide to available resources. Available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese). Also available in print in the Reference area: Ref. Z1605.H23.
- Hispanic American Periodicals Index [HAPI] (Indexes 500 journals in the humanities and social sciences. The Library has HAPI from 1970 to 1999. Shelved in Reference: Ref. Z1605.H265. Continues the Index to Latin American Periodical Literature, 1929-1960).
- Index to Latin American Periodical Literature 1929-1960 (Comprehensive index to periodicals published in Latin America. Shelved in the Reference area: Ref. Z1601.P16).
- Latin American Periodical Tables of Contents (LAPTOC) (provides access to the tables of contents of more than 800 journals, primarily in the humanities and social sciences, published in Latin America).
Other Databases and Indexes [online databases restricted to MSU users only]
- ABI/Inform (index to articles on business and management topics from over 1000 US and international periodicals. Full text of many articles available).
- America History & Life (abstracts of journal articles, books, and dissertations on United States and Canadian history from prehistoric times to the present).
- Anthropological Index Online (index to anthropological materials contained in periodicals of the Museum of Mankind Library at the British Museum).
- Art Abstracts (index of articles from over 300 major periodicals in the field of art).
- EBSCO Academic Search Premier (index to articles of general academic interest. Full text of many articles available).
- Historical Abstracts (abstracts of journal articles, citations to books, and dissertations on the history of the world (excluding North America) from 1450 to the present).
- HRAF (Human Relations Area Files) (full text database of ethnographic and cultural materials).
- Infotrac (Expanded Academic Index)(general academic index to articles on a variety of subjects. Full text of many articles available).
- International Index To Music Periodicals (IIMP) (indexes over 370 international music periodicals with 60 titles containing some content in full text).
- JSTOR (archive of full-text journal articles from many subject areas, including Latin American studies).
- MLA Bibliography (index to articles and other material on modern languages, literature, linguistics and folklore).
- Project Muse (full text database of over 160 electronic journals in the arts, humanities, and social sciences).
- Reader's Guide (index to popular and general periodicals in all subject areas).
- Science Direct (Elsevier) (database of more than 1,000 journals covering many subject areas; strong in the sciences)
Finding books and other materials on Latin America and the Caribbean
Search Sprague Library's Online Catalog to find books, videos, government publications and other materials and information on Latin America.
Selected Reference Books in Sprague Library's Collection
[Sprague Library has a very strong print collection on Latin America and the Caribbean. This is a sampling of what you can find in our Reference collection]
- Contemporary Hispanic Biography: Profiles from the International Hispanic Community(multi-volume set published in 2002) Ref. F1407 .C66
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Latin American and Caribbean Cultures (three volume set published in 2000) Ref. F1406 .E515 2000
- Encyclopedia of Latin American History and Culture (five volume set published in 1996)Ref. F1406 .E53 1996
- Encyclopedia of Latin American Literature
- Encyclopedia of Latin American Politics Ref. F1410 .E56 2002
- Hispanic Literature Criticism (two volume set published in 1994) Ref. PQ7081.A1 H573 1994
- Latin American Classical Composers: A Biographical Dictionary Ref. ML105 .F53 1996
- Latin American Studies: A Basic Guide to Sources Ref. Z1601 .L324 1990
- Latin American Writers (three volume set, with a supplementary volume, all published in 1989) Ref. PQ7081.A1 L37 1989
- Notable Twentieth-Century Latin American Women: A Biographical Dictionary Ref. CT3290 .N68 2001
- Oxford Encyclopedia of Mesoamerican Cultures: The Civilizations of Mexico and Central America (three volume set published in 2001) Ref. F1218.6 .O95 2001
- St. James Guide to Hispanic Artists: Profiles of Latino and Latin American Artists Ref. N6538.H58 S7 2002
Web sites on specialized topics
- Center for Latin American Economics[Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas]
- Environmental History of Latin America Online Bibliography [Stanford U.]
- Oxford Latin American Economic History Database [from Oxford U.]
- Political Database of the Americas [from Georgetown University]
- Religion in Latin America [from Providence College]
- Colonial Latin America [from the "Internet History Sourcebook"]
- 19th Century Latin America [from the "Internet History Sourcebook"]
- 20th Century Latin America [from the "Internet History Sourcebook"]
- Lonely Planet - Tourist and travel information.\
- Weather Reports (Intellicast) - Provides over 250,000 pages of detailed weather information including 10 day forecasts with temperatures given in Fahrenheit.
Send comments or suggestions to Edwardo Gil
Last updated: July 2004