The undergraduate programs in the mathematical sciences department introduce central ideas in a variety of areas in mathematics and physics that develop problem-solving ability by teaching students to combine critical thinking with rigorous reasoning. The Mathematics program provides students with a spectrum of courses in pure and applied mathematics that establish a mathematician’s mentality. Upon degree completion students of all majors are also equipped for graduate study.
Mathematics, at its core, exists as a means to reveal and explain patterns, whether the pattern appears as electrical impulses in an animal’s nervous system, as fluctuations in stock market prices, or as fine detail of an abstract geometric figure. Studying mathematics can lead to a variety of exciting professional careers in basic research, engineering, finance, business and government service. Our math majors also go on to fulfilling careers as high school and middle school teachers.
- BS in Mathematics (MATH)
- BS in Mathematics with Teacher Certification in Elementary School Teacher in Grades K-6 (MAEL)
- BS in Mathematics, Discrete Applied Mathematics Concentration (MADA)
- BS in Mathematics, Teachers Certification in Mathematics, Preschool-Grade 12 (MATE)
- BS in Mathematics, Mathematics of Finance Concentration (MAFI)
- BS in Mathematics, Statistics Concentration (MSTA)
Montclair State’s physics programs introduce central ideas in a variety of areas in physics and develop problem-solving ability by teaching students to combine critical thinking with rigorous reasoning. Students have the opportunity to select courses in physics, astronomy and physics education.
Students find that almost any scientific problem can be approached using physics, and as a result there are many hybrid disciplines such as astrophysics, biophysics and geophysics. Physics’ application to other sciences means that it is an ideal starting point for entry into almost every branch of science, engineering and technology.
- BS in Physics (PHYS)
- BS in Physics, Astronomy Concentration (PHAS)
- BS in Physics, Physical Science Teacher, Preschool-Grade 12 (PHPS)
- BS in Physics, Teacher Certification in Physics, Preschool-Grade 12 (PHYE)
Combined 5-year Programs
- BS in Mathematics, MS in Mathematics Pure & Applied Mathematics Concentration (MMBM)
- BS in Mathematics, MS in Statistics (MACB)
- BS in Mathematics, Mathematics of Finance Concentration, MS in Statistics (MFBM)
- BS in Mathematics, Statistics Concentration, MS in Statistics (MSCB)
- BS in Physics, BS/MS in Mathematics, Pure & Applied Concentration (PMBM)
- BS/MAT in Mathematics, Teacher of Students with Disabilities Certification (MABM)