The MagLab offers a wide range of research experiences in physics, chemistry, biological sciences, geochemistry, materials science and magnet science and engineering. Summer interns work closely with their faculty mentors and are thoroughly integrated into research and development activities. Beyond the lab, students broaden their knowledge of diverse Magnet Lab research by attending weekly seminars and colloquia.
Each student accepted by the program receives a $3600 stipend based on completion and, if necessary, a travel stipend of up to $600. Housing is also covered by the program. For the summer 2013 REU session, 179 undergraduates applied; 24 were accepted.
- The program is for US citizens and permanent residents only.
- Housing is provided for out-of-area students who are placed at the Tallahassee site and do not attend Florida State University or students who are placed at the University of Florida site and do not attend the University of Florida.
- Travel reimbursements of up to $600 are paid to students who do not attend FSU or do not have permanent residence in Tallahassee. Students whose parents or legal guardians live in Tallahassee are not eligible for reimbursement. The travel reimbursement will only cover direct travel from the students’ home to the lab location.
- Students are required to participate in the entire eight weeks of the program.
To apply for the 2014 program, which runs from June 9th to August 2nd, 2014, click on the Apply Here link above. That application deadline is Friday April 18th, 2014, at 5 p.m.
- Two letters of recommendation from professors on school letterhead
- Official Transcripts from all universities and colleges you have attended
- Goal statement (uploaded on application)
- Resume (uploaded on application)
All correspondence can be sent Attention: Jose Sanchez, 1800 E Paul Dirac Drive., Tallahassee, FL 32310
For more information visit the magnet lab website.