Office of Communications and Marketing
MONTCLAIR, NJ-- Montclair State University's Campus Connect program, an innovative mobile technology project, has won the 2007 Campus Technology Innovators Award from Campus Technology magazine, the nation's leading publication focusing on the use of technology across all areas of higher education. Campus Connect, developed by Montclair State University, Rave Wireless, and Sprint, employs cell phones to give students 24/7 access to a wide array of campus information and resources. Approximately 4,000 students, including all incoming first-year students, carry the Campus Connect mobile phone.
"Students today desire technology that easily and quickly connects them with their professors, friends, campus news, information and events, classroom assignments, transportation, tracking, music, local events, and so much more," says Dr. Susan A. Cole, president, Montclair State University. "Rave Wireless took the preferred communications device of the youth market and, working within the University, transformed it into an educational and community building tool that has enabled Montclair State to take a huge leap forward in preparing our students for productive roles in a technology-based society."
More than 330 proposals were reviewed by the editors of Campus Technology and, after "lengthy deliberations," 13 innovators were selected to receive the award which will be highlighted and detailed in the August edition of Campus Technology magazine.
Introduced on campus in September 2005, Campus Connect, powered by Rave Wireless, provides a fast and easy way to personalize, create and share timely traditional online media, user- and community- generated content, and location-based information on mobile phones. For example, students can customize their cell phone to:
- Activate a GPS-based tracking feature ("Mobile Guardian") that allows University Police to monitor a student's safe arrival at a destination
- Receive real-time alerts and information from the University, including broadcast text messages
- Track the actual location of campus shuttle buses
- Check class assignments and study hall availability
- Identify popular events and happenings with friends
- Enjoy and create entertaining personal mobile blogs
- Coordinate group activities and trips
- Access health- and safety-related information and resources from the University
- Learn about daily specials from campus proprietors, local shops and restaurants.
Montclair State University's revolutionary mobile technology program was recognized by the non-profit group Security On Campus when the University received the organization's 2006 Jeanne Clery Campus Safety Award.
Montclair State University
Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university--a comprehensive undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a broad variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body--combined with a small college's attention to students.