On Monday, February 28, a water pipe broke in Blanton Hall, causing a short in an electrical panel. The short in turn caused a fire in the panel. There were no injuries to any residents and the fire was contained in the mechanical room. All residents were immediately evacuated from the building.
We have been notified by state and county authorities that residents of
Blanton Hall will not be able to reoccupy the building until after the
spring break. This is to allow for the replacement of fire alarm and
electrical panels, as well as for testing of all panels and fire alarm
equipment. While we realize that this is a significant inconvenience,
the safety of our residents is our foremost priority.
Students may re-enter Blanton Hall during the following hours to pick up
items they will need for the rest of the week and over the break:
Tuesday through Friday (February 29-March 3)
10 Am - 12 Noon and 1 PM to 3 PM
Other important information:
- During the upcoming week, the Health and Wellness Center will be open at the Drop-In Center for limited and emergency services during routine hours.
- Mail will be sorted in Blanton Hall and may be picked up at the Blanton Hall desk during the above hours.
- Freeman Dining Hall will be open for extended hours to accommodate all resident students. In addition, late night in the Student Center will have extended menu options. A continental breakfast will be available in the Bohn Hall lounge from 7 AM-9 AM.
- The commuter lounge in the Student Center Annex and the Student Center 3rd floor lounge will be open 24 hours.
- The computer centers in Russ Hall and the Student Center Cafeteria B will be open 24 hours during the coming week.
- Students who need alternative housing arrangements should contact the Office of Residence Life between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM at extension 5188.
- Information regarding room refunds for Blanton Hall residents will be forthcoming from the Office of Residence Life.