MONTCLAIR, NJ - When the New Jersey State Normal School at Montclair was founded in 1908, no one could have foreseen that a celebration with thousands of attendees would take place 100 years later. Nevertheless, on Saturday September 20th, beginning at noon, Montclair State will host a Centennial Festival in honor of the University's centennial anniversary, paying tribute to its history within the community and inviting thousands of alumni, faculty, staff and neighbors to join in the celebration.
According to Julie Adams, Montclair State's Executive Director of Alumni and Community Relations, “There will be something for everyone on September 20th, and we hope people will take this opportunity to become better acquainted with all the rich cultural and educational resources that Montclair State brings to the region.”
Opening the entire campus to Montclair State’s neighbors and friends, the Festival will be a non-stop line-up of activities, performances, and events culminating with a concert and fireworks at Yogi Berra Stadium featuring headliners WAR with special guests, the Smithereens and CC Coletti. The concert begins at 5:30 p.m.*
A perfect outing for families, Festival highlights include:
- Free performances by Yosi & The Superdads, “a band with the kidvibe big time,” and the Mike Luipersbeck Jazz Trio, Checkered Past, the Montclair Community Band, the Denville String Band, the Emerald Society Pipe Band, the Dirdy Birdies, the Chris Moore Jazz Band, 3Across and the Afro Brazilian Cultural Center will take place throughout the day.
- Special performances of “Addicted to Bad Ideas: Peter Lorre's 20th Century,” a “startling original” rock operetta, taking place at 2 and 8 p.m. in the Alexander Kasser Theater. (Tickets for these performances are $15.)
- The “biggest alumni reunion ever,” scheduled to take place from noon to 5 p.m., featuring performances by RB Express, and The Sheps.
- The opening of George Segal: Modernist Humanist, a retrospective of the artist’s work, with a special symposium at 2:30 p.m. (in University Hall) and an opening reception in the Segal Gallery at 5 p.m.
- In the Dance Studio, performances by Freespace Dance and Yass Hakoshima throughout the day.
- Inflatable Rides - the Extreme Fun Obstacle Course, the Carousel Bounce, the Under the Sea Adventure and the House Slide; a "Street Festival" with Pigtails the Clown; “Make and Take” craft tables, a stilt walker, a balloon sculptor, a juggler, a temporary tattoo artist and caricaturists; arts and community representatives and services including free hearing screenings by Montclair State University's audiology program—and every imaginable type of delicious festival food.
For a complete schedule
of events and further information, visit Festival.
The Festival will take place rain or shine.
* Tickets for the concert are $25 each, $40 for VIP lawn seats, and are available at the New Jersey Jackals box office at Yogi Berra Stadium on the Montclair State University campus, or by calling 973-746-7434. Discounted tickets for MSU faculty, staff, students and alumni are $15.
Released: August 18, 2008