Below are some tips to help you keep hydrated while exercising:
- Drink fluids the hour before the exercise session.
- Be sure to drink while exercising.
- Rehydrate after exercise to replace fluids lost during exercise.
Here are some recommendations for fluid intake:
- For short duration (<60 minutes), low to moderate intensity activity, water is a good choice to drink before, during and after exercise.
- For longer duration (>60 minutes), moderate to high intensity activity, sport drinks (6 – 8 % carbohydrate) are good options.
- Other good sources of fluids include juices, soups, smoothies, fruit and vegetables.
For more information regarding hydration, check out SCAN at www.scandpg.org