Montclair, NJ --An open house where people can watch an ongoing archeological excavation will be held outside the 19th century Van Reyper-Bond House on the Montclair State University campus on June 5 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
The excavation is sponsored by the Center for Heritage and Archaeological Studies (CHAS) and the Department of Anthropology. The excavation outside the Van Reyper-Bond House, located on the south campus across Normal Avenue from the main campus, is being conducted by the students of the Archaeological Field Methods course under the direction of Peter Siegel, associate professor at the Department of Anthropology.
Siegel will give a brief talk about the Van Reyper-Bond House, which is now listed in the State and National Registers of Historic Places, beginning with its construction in 1872 until it became a part of the Montclair State campus. The discussion will focus on the historical and social context for the occupation of the house over time, and suggest how social and economic characteristics of historical houses can be reflected in archaeological deposits. "This will be a great opportunity for our guests to watch an ongoing excavation and interact with archaeologists while they are working," said Timothy Renner, professor of classics and general human humanities and CHAS steering committee director.
Parking is available in the Red Hawk deck on the Montclair State campus. For directions to the campus and parking facilities go to http://www.montclair.edu/welcome/directions.html. Photography will be permitted and drinking water will be provided. Visitors should wear a hat, light colored clothing, sunblock, and sensible shoes.
Released: June 3, 2010