Inspiration + Empowerment =
Achievement in Public Schools with Diverse Student Populations
Friday, November 19, 2010
8:30am - 12:00pm
Montclair State University, University Hall
The myriad of challenges faced by students can serve as potential barriers to optimal functioning in the schools and beyond. Our conference goal is to promote resiliency of students and their families through innovative and empirically supported counseling services to meet the unique needs of a diverse K-12 school population. The conference will consist of a keynote address by Dr. Carol Dahir and nine workshops aimed to meet the needs of school counselors from different school settings. Dr. Dahir is the co-author of ASCA’s Sharing the Vision: The National Standards for School Counseling Programs and Vision Into Action: Implementing the National Standards.
Workshop topics will include:
- Taking the Next Steps in School Counselor Accountability: MEASURE 101
- Play Therapy: The Essentials
- The A-B-C’s of Being an Effective School Counselor Supervisor: Multiple Roles, Multiple Responsibilities
- Calling All Parents! Strategies to Promote Parental Involvement and Engagement
- Using a Developmental, Strengths-Based Approach in Working with Children with Autism and Their Families
- Towards a Seamless Transition: High School to Higher Education Partnerships
- Dinner with 100 Chinese Women: Promoting School Counseling Outreach Programs
- To Report or Not to Report: Understanding the Legal Duties of School Counselors
- What School Counselors Should Know about Substance Abuse
- Optional discussion: Benefits of Pursuing a Doctorate as a School Counselor
The $60 advance registration fee for this half-day conference includes the keynote address and workshops, breakfast, and parking (on-site registration will be accepted on a space-available basis for $70). Professional development hours for school counselors and continuing education units will be awarded to conference participants.
Online registration is now closed. If you would like to attend the conference, please join us on Friday, November 19 at 8:30am for on-site registration.
If you have questions, please email Dr. Angela Sheely-Moore at firstname.lastname@example.org