A new look, however, is not the only change for Finley Hall. The academic building, which has been a part of the Montclair State landscape since 1957, will be renamed Conrad J. Schmitt Hall, in recognition of a generous donation from Schmitt ’58, a retired foreign language educator and the successful publisher and author or co-author of more than 250 foreign language textbooks. The Finley name will continue in the “Finley Garden” which will be located in front of Schmitt Hall.
The Schmitt Hall renovation project was initiated to address issues with the building’s mechanical and electrical systems, as well as its exterior façade and interior finishes, which were at the end of their useful life and in need of modernization, renewal, or replacement. The renovation was also necessary to accommodate the needs of various academic areas that will be housed in Schmitt Hall, including the Foreign Languages and Linguistics, and Mathematics programs. The spaces these programs now occupy in Dickson Hall will then become available to support the needs of other academic programs within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences.
The new building has been re-designed, renovated, and equipped for modern classroom usage with new mechanical, electrical, fire detection, sprinkler, and telecommunications systems, as well as new exterior and interior finishes. A third floor was added to provide additional classroom space and faculty offices and to accommodate the new Math Emporium.
Conrad J. Schmitt Hall will be formally dedicated at a special event on April 19, 2012.