A BRIEF HISTORY OF MSU
From its founding in 1908, the history of Montclair State University has been one of change, growth and distinction. Established as a Normal School in 1908 in response to the growing demand for professionally trained teachers, the institution became Montclair State Teachers College in 1927, dedicated to the education of secondary school teachers through a four-year baccalaureate degree program. Part-time, extension and summer courses were added to meet the professional needs of teachers, and in 1932 Montclair was authorized to offer the masters degree. With its strong emphasis on the liberal arts and sciences, Montclair in 1937 became the first teachers college accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools. Responding to rapid enrollment growth in the late 1940's and the 1950's with an expanded curriculum and faculty, the campus became Montclair State College in 1958 and a comprehensive, multi-purpose institution in 1966. Recognizing the strengths of its academic programs and faculty and its commitment to excellence in instruction and research, the Board of Higher Education designated Montclair State a university on April 27, 1994.
Back to Fact Book Home Page