MS in Sustainability Science - Online
Become a leader who can integrate business expertise with knowledge of science and technology and a passion for sustainability.
Credit Hours: 32 | Courses
The Master of Science in Sustainability Science with a concentration in Sustainability Leadership (Professional Science Master's) is an online graduate degree program designed to fill a management need for governmental agencies, non-profit organizations, and private-sector companies. Students pursue advanced training in sustainability science, while simultaneously developing valued business skills. The Professional Science Master's (PSM) in Sustainability Leadership is designed for students to develop analytical skills and the ability to seek optimal solutions to complex issues. Coursework stresses the development of important written and oral communication skills; the ability to manage multiple tasks; the capacity to develop strategic vision in sustainability; and the necessary competencies to translate sustainability science theory into applied decision-making. The cohort-based program encourages students to develop the skills of working collaboratively across time zones.
- Continuous enrollment
- Next date of entrance: January 2018
- Students can choose a fully online program or limited on-site experience for research or capstone projects.
- Program is international in scope and students can do international projects.
- Students can select either a fast track program (1 year) or a part-time 2 or 3 year program.
- Special tuition rates for the online program.
From a practical perspective, people trained in sustainability science are geared to save costs relative to energy and material use; reduce organization risk; increase an organization’s brand and popular appeal; invent new products and services; and add value to their employer organizations.
Sustainability professionals and managers are employed as:
- Alternative energy specialists
- Business operations specialists
- Chief Sustainability Officers
- Civil engineers
- Compliance officers
- Conservation scientists
- Energy and water usage auditors and managers
- Environmental lawyers
- Financial analysts
- Green design and construction specialists
- Industrial ecologists
- Industrial managers
- Life cycle assessment specialists
- Marketing specialists
- Project managers
- Recycling coordinators
- Sustainability accountants
- Transportation, storage, and distribution managers
- Urban and regional planners
Where our alumni are employed
- See where EAES alumni are employed.
Job Outlook and Salary Information for Sustainability Scientists
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics:
Is a Sustainability Career on your Green Horizon?
- US Bureau of Labor Statistics:
Occupational Outlook for Environmental Scientists
- US Department of Labor: Green Occupations: A look at what’s out there
Professional Resources for Sustainability Scientists
- American Planning Association
- Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education
- New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection: Planning and Sustainable Communities
- New Jersey Higher Education Partnership for Sustainability
- PSEG Institute for Sustainability Studies
- Sustainable Jersey
- US Green Building Council, New Jersey Chapter