The purpose of the Routing Form is to ensure that the appropriate administrators have reviewed and approved the proposal and budget to be submitted by the Principal Investigator (PI). Their approval is verified by electronically signing the form.
All Routing Forms must be submitted with an attached project abstract/summary, budget, budget justification, and Significant Financial Interest Disclosure Form (if applicable) to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) at least three business days before the funding agency’s deadline.
- Complete the entire Routing Form, sections A through E. The PI must electronically sign and date the Routing Form in Section F and save the document as a PDF.
- If applicable, the PI must indicate the existence of a significant financial interest (SFI) in Section E and complete the Significant Financial Interest Disclosure Form describing the SFIs. The form must be electronically signed and dated by the PI and saved as a PDF.
- Create a proposal document. The proposal document must contain the project abstract/summary, budget, and budget justification in one document. The PI must save the proposal document as a PDF.
- The PI must e-mail the completed Routing Form, SFI Disclosure Form (if applicable), and proposal document to their Department Chair/Center or Institute’s Director for approval and signature.
CO-INVESTIGATOR (IF APPLICABLE)
- Must electronically sign the Routing Form.
- If an SFI exists, the Co-PI must indicate that and attach a completed Significant Financial Interest Disclosure Form.
- Save the Routing Form and SFI Disclosure Form as PDF files and send the documents to their Department Chair for review and electronic signature. The Co-I’s chair will forward the saved Routing Form to the dean for review and electronic signature. The dean must then save the Routing Form as a PDF and e-mail it to ORSP.
- Review the Routing Form and the proposal document to approve faculty release time and/or salary, and any commitment to use departmental facilities, equipment, resources, staff, and if any cost sharing is committed.
- If cost sharing is committed by the PI’s department, please type your initials next to the relevant amount/account line.
- Electronically sign the Routing Form in Section G. If a SFI Disclosure Form has been included, the chair must also electronically sign and date this form.
- Save the Routing Form and SFI Disclosure Form (if included) as PDF files and e-mail them, along with the proposal document, to the school’s dean for review and approval.
- Review the Routing Form and the proposal document to confirm faculty release time and/or salary, and any commitment to use departmental facilities, equipment, resources, staff, and commitments of cost sharing.
- Electronically sign and date the Routing Form in Section G.
- Save the Routing Form as a PDF and e-mail it, along with the SFI Disclosure Form and proposal document, to ORSP, who will take the Routing Form to the Provost for review and approval.
Routing Form Help
- Download the latest version of Adobe Reader in order to open, complete, and sign the Routing Form. Mac users: Your computer will try to open the PDF file in Preview. In order to save changes to the form, you will need to download Adobe Reader and open up the PDF with that product.
- This brief video or printable instructions both explain how to create an electronic signature to sign the Routing Form.
- For assistance, please contact Sam Wolverton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 973-655-3223.
Newly Revised Sections
Section B. Budget Information
- Total Amount Requested: This figure represents the sum of the Direct Costs and Indirect Costs; Section J on the budget spreadsheet.
- Project Period: The full span of the project.
- Direct Costs: The total amount from Section H of the budget spreadsheet.
- Indirect Costs: The total amount from Section I on the budget spreadsheet.
- Indirect Cost Rate Percentage: This is typically the Montclair State University federally negotiated rate of 59% of salaries and wages excluding fringe and stipends, unless otherwise mandated by the sponsor’s guidelines.
- Does the Sponsor Limit, or Exclude Indirect Costs (This information should be available in the sponsor’s guidelines)
- Total Amount of Cost Sharing: The total amount of the project that is not paid by the sponsor.
- Type: The sponsor’s guidelines should indicate whether the match is mandatory or voluntary.
- Breakdown of Cost Sharing: Each line should reflect the amount going to cost share, the FRS account number that it is being charged to, and the initials of the person authorized to expend on that account.
Section C. Faculty to be Paid by Project Year
This section should only reflect faculty being paid for the project and should not include other project personnel.
- Project Year: Indicate the year of the project, i.e., 1, 2, 3.
- Proposal Role: Indicate if project member is the Principal Investigator (PI) or Co-Investigator (Co-PI).
- Summer Stipend/# of Months: Indicate the number of months worked during the summer.
- Summer Stipend/Grant $: Specify the amount to be paid for the summer months worked in the previous column. Faculty can be paid for two months in the summer at a rate of 10% of their base salary per month.
- RT Fall and RT Spring: Release Time
- Effort (%): Indicate the percentage of release time for the semester. One course of release time is equivalent to 12.5% effort.
- Grant ($): Release time from courses needs to be compensated by the grant at full salary rates. Generally, one class during the academic year is equal to 12.5% of salary.
- Effort (%): Indicate the amount of release time for the semester.
- Cost Share ($): Release time from courses needs to be cost shared at full salary rates. Generally, one class during the academic year is equal to 12.5% of salary.