The proposal routing form is an important document. It's necessary to ensure that the appropriate academic, administrative, and program staff have reviewed and approved the proposed activities and budget to be submitted by the Principal Investigator or Project Director (PI/PD). It is also used by ORSP to record and report on the proposal submission in its monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting. Approval is verified by electronically signing the form.
All Routing Forms must be submitted with an attached project abstract/summary, budget, budget justification, and Significant Financial Interest Disclosure Form (if applicable) to the Office of Research and Sponsored Programs (ORSP) at least three business days before the funding agency’s deadline.
Please consult ORSP's Sponsored Programs Handbook for complete instructions on filling out the Routing Form.
- Complete the entire Routing Form, sections A through E. The PI must electronically sign and date the Routing Form in Section F and save the document as a PDF.
- If applicable, the PI must indicate the existence of a significant financial interest (SFI) in Section E and complete the Significant Financial Interest Disclosure Form describing the SFIs. The form must be electronically signed and dated by the PI and saved as a PDF.
- Create a proposal document. The proposal document must contain the project abstract/summary, budget, and budget justification in one document. The PI must save the proposal document as a PDF.
- The PI must e-mail the completed Routing Form, SFI Disclosure Form (if applicable), and proposal document to their Department Chair/Center or Institute’s Director for approval and signature.
CO-INVESTIGATOR (IF APPLICABLE)
- Must electronically sign the Routing Form.
- If an SFI exists, the Co-PI must indicate that and attach a completed Significant Financial Interest Disclosure Form.
- Save the Routing Form and SFI Disclosure Form as PDF files and send the documents to their Department Chair for review and electronic signature. The Co-I’s chair will forward the saved Routing Form to the dean for review and electronic signature. The dean must then save the Routing Form as a PDF and e-mail it to ORSP.
- Review the Routing Form and the proposal document to approve faculty release time and/or salary, and any commitment to use departmental facilities, equipment, resources, staff, and if any cost sharing is committed.
- If cost sharing is committed by the PI’s department, please type your initials next to the relevant amount/account line.
- Electronically sign the Routing Form in Section G. If a SFI Disclosure Form has been included, the chair must also electronically sign and date this form.
- Save the Routing Form and SFI Disclosure Form (if included) as PDF files and e-mail them, along with the proposal document, to the school’s dean for review and approval.
- Review the Routing Form and the proposal document to confirm faculty release time and/or salary, and any commitment to use departmental facilities, equipment, resources, staff, and commitments of cost sharing.
- Electronically sign and date the Routing Form in Section G.
- Save the Routing Form as a PDF and e-mail it, along with the SFI Disclosure Form and proposal document, to ORSP, who will take the Routing Form to the Provost for review and approval.