Global Education Center
22 Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043
Tel. (973) 655-4499 Fax (973) 655-7654
Office of International Services Tel (973) 655-6862 Fax (973) 655-7726
Study Abroad: Tel (973)-655-4483
Short Term Study Abroad Institutes: (973)-655-4185
The Global Education Center consolidates Montclair State University's international initiatives and programs. It provides leadership and organizational focus for the University’s globalization efforts. It is designed to coordinate all international activities on campus, plan new efforts, advance international objectives across colleges and schools, build alliances, create and cultivate international partnerships and serve as an international resource for the campus and the community.
The Global Education Center comprises the Office for MSU Faculty and International Scholars, the Office of International Services, Study Abroad and International Summer Institutes, and Special Programs.
For MSU faculty, the Center:
- Administers and facilitates international initiatives for faculty
- Awards Global Education Grants to MSU faculty to engage in international initiatives
- Coordinates international teaching opportunities for MSU faculty
- Identifies and secures funding for international activities
- Provides opportunities for faculty to develop and lead short term summer study abroad institutes
- Works with faculty to write grant proposals and administer grant funded projects.
For international scholars and visitors, the Center:
- Hosts international visitors and coordinates their activities on campus
- Administers the Global Scholar House
- Develops customized workshops, seminars and institutes for international universities.
- Administers the Global Education Scholar program that brings distinguished international scholars to teach on campus
- Administers an annual international photography competition and exhibition for MSU faculty and staff
For MSU faculty and international scholars:
- Administers the Forum on International Series, a semimonthly forum for international scholars to address student and faculty
- Administers the Tea and Talk Series, a biweekly forum for roundtable dialogues with visiting scholars
- Sponsors conferences with international partners
- Facilitates exchanges in the Art
- Develops international festivals and special programs
- Represents the Fulbright program on campus.
The Center organizes a range of special programs for faculty, international scholars and students. Recent highlights include:
The Disney College Program for International Students
This 3-month International Attraction & Tourism Program program for international students is offered in conjunction with the School of Business and Walt Disney World International. It combines study and internship that take place at MSU and at Walt Disney World in Florida.
Teaching in English: A Faculty Training Program
The Center offers a customized professional training program to faculty at universities in non-English speaking countries. Designed for instructors of various disciplines to teach their subject areas in English, the program provides intensive training courses in English methodology and language skills. Program duration is between 3 to 5 intensive weeks and can be scheduled from the middle of May to the middle of August.
The Office of International Services
Office of International Services (IS) promotes international education by providing a range of services, programs, and advocacy that support the growth, development and welfare of international students, scholars, and faculty at Montclair State University. These are:
- immigration advising and documentation
- visa support
- academic, legal, housing, visa and cultural assistance for international student
- orientations for new international scholars
- social adjustment and cultural support programs
- International Living Community (ILC) a residential community of International and American students at MSU, where students can learn about the traditions and customs of students from a variety of countries
- international student recruitment
The Center provides MSU students with the opportunity to discover, learn, and enrich their lives through a variety of study abroad programs to destinations throughout the world. Through direct programs with partner institutions and affiliations with the New Jersey Consortium on International Studies and Cultural Experiences Abroad, the Center offers undergraduate students academically challenging and personally rewarding international experiences in a collegiate setting at an affordable price in over 20 countries. Our Short-term Study Abroad Institutes are led by MSU faculty with expertise in the region, and are thematically oriented. The Center provides study abroad scholarships for qualified MSU students.
Students may choose from:
- Semester or year-long study abroad and exchange programs
- Summer 3-5 week faculty-led institute programs
- Regular courses that include a 7-10 day field excursion abroad over term breaks
Featured programs include:
- Musical Performance at the Tchaikovsky Moscow Conservatory, Russia
- Global Business Semester Exchange with FH Joanneum, Austria
- Full Scholarships to Graz University, Austria
- Semester at Sea
- Semester exchange to University of Agder, Norway
- Internships through International Studies Abroad, Belgium
- French language and Art History, France
- Spanish language and Anthropology, Mexico
- Italian Cultural History and Broadcasting Practicum, Italy
- Southern Italian Culture and History, Sicily
- Verdi Conservatory, Milan
- University of Music and Performing Arts, Graz
- Listzt Academy, Budapest, and others