Frequently Asked Questions
- What are MSU Red Hawk Dollars?
- What are the differences between Red Hawk Dollars and Flex Dollars?
- Can I have both Red Hawk and Flex Dollars?
- Why do I need Red Hawk Dollars?
- How do I use Red Hawk Dollars?
- Where can I use Red Hawk Dollars?
- Where and how can I purchase Red Hawk Dollars?
- Can parents or relatives purchase Red Hawk Dollars for me?
- What if I have Red Hawk Dollars left over at the end of the semester?
- Can I withdraw cash from my Red Hawk Dollar account?
- If I close my Red Hawk Dollar account, can I receive cash at the time of closing?
- How do I close my Red Hawk Dollar account?
What are MSU Red Hawk Dollars?
RH$ program is a convenient pre-paid debit account designed for the MSU community (students, faculty, staff, and alumni) to make purchases on campus using the Montclair State University ID Card.
$1.00 US dollar equals 1 Red Hawk Dollar.
What are the differences between Red Hawk Dollars and Flex Dollars?
RH$ can be used at MSU Dining Services locations, the University Bookstore, vending machines, the Student Recreation Center and the University Health Center. RH$ balances carry over semester to semester, year to year, and are available for use year round. RH$ accounts may only be closed when a student graduates or withdraws from the University. A $15 fee is assessed to the account at time of processing. Credits are posted to the student account.
Flex Dollars are attached to meal plans and can only be used to purchase food. Flex dollar remaining balances in the fall semester carryover to spring semester only if the student is enrolled in the spring semester. Balances remaining in at the end of the spring semester are non-refundable.
How do I use Red Hawk Dollars?
The first step is to obtain your MSU ID card. Your RH$ account is tied to the MSU ID card. Simply present your MSU ID card to the cashier where Red Hawk Dollars are accepted and state you would like to pay with Red Hawk Dollars. Your card is swiped through the register and payment is completed. Account balances appear on the sales receipt.
Where can I use Red Hawk Dollars?
You can use your RH$ at all MSU Dining Service facilities except at Rocky’s Nest and the Red Hawk Express truck. (RH$ payment soon accepted at these two locations!) Other campus outlets that accept RH$ are:
MSU Dining Services faciliies
Sprague Library copy machines
On campus vending machines
ID Card Office
The Online Card Office offers students, faculty, staff, family and friends the opportunity to purchase Red Hawk Dollars 24/7 via the internet.
Apple and Android apps: Visit iTunes and the Google Play store to download the latest Red Hawk Dollars app!
Cash and check payments are accepted at the ID Card Office and cashier’s window at the Bursar’s office during normal business hours
- Credit from your student account can be transferred to a RH$ account. Simply log into your WESS account to view your billing statement. If your financial aid loan, grant or scholarship has posted to your account and created a credit amount, up to $1,500.00 of that credit may be transferred to a RH$ account. Fill out the Account Credit Transfer form and fax it to 973-655-3427 or drop it off at the Red Hawk Dollar office in the Student Center. Funds are posted to accounts within 24 hours of receipt of the form.
Credit on student accounts can be transferred to a RH$ account prior to the start of a semester providing the funding is posted to the account.
Beat the rush and avoid waiting on line!
Can parents or relatives purchase Red Hawk Dollars for me?
Yes, by using the The Online Card Office web page.
If I close my Red Hawk Dollar account, can I receive cash at the time of closing?
No. When Red Hawk Dollar accounts are closed, funds remaining over $15.00 are posted as credit to your MSU student account. If an account balance is due, the credit is applied to the account balance due. If the account has a zero balance due, the credit will be processed into a refund check by the Bursar’s Office and mailed to your address on file. Please contact the Bursar’s office (973-655-4105) for details about receiving payment on account credit.
How do I close my Red Hawk Dollar account?
Submit a RH$ Account Closure form . Accounts may only be closed upon graduation, withdrawal from the University, or termination of employment. A processing fee of $15 will be charged to the Red Hawk Dollar account prior to closure and refund calculation.
All University debts must be satisfied prior to a refund being processed. All requests for refunds upon graduation, withdrawal from the University, or termination of employment must be received within ninety (90) days of graduation, withdrawal, or termination. Any funds left in the account longer than ninety (90) days are forfeited and become the property of the University.