Frequently Asked Questions
- What are Montclair State University Red Hawk Dollars?
- What are the differences between Red Hawk Dollars and Flex Dollars?
- Can I have both Red Hawk and Flex Dollars?
- Why do I need Red Hawk Dollars?
- How do I use Red Hawk Dollars?
- Where can I use Red Hawk Dollars?
- Where and how can I purchase Red Hawk Dollars?
- Can parents or relatives purchase Red Hawk Dollars for me?
- What if I have Red Hawk Dollars left over at the end of the semester?
- Can I withdraw cash from my Red Hawk Dollar account?
- If I close my Red Hawk Dollar account, can I receive cash at the time of closing?
- How do I close my Red Hawk Dollar account?
What are Montclair State University Red Hawk Dollars?
RH$ program is a convenient pre-paid debit account designed for the University community (students, faculty, staff, and alumni) to make purchases on campus using the Montclair State University ID Card.
$1.00 US dollar equals 1 Red Hawk Dollar.
What are the differences between Red Hawk Dollars and Flex Dollars?
Besides being accepted at University Dining Services locations and on campus vending machines, RH$ are accepted at select off campus merchants and other University departments. RH$ balances carry over semester to semester, year to year, and are available for use year round as long as you are registered for classes. RH$ accounts may only be closed when a student graduates or withdraws from the University. A $15 fee is assessed to the account at time of processing. Credits are posted to the student WESS account.
Flex Dollars can only be used to purchase food at University Dining Services locations and on campus vending machines. Remaining Flex Dollars balances in the fall semester carry over to spring semester. Balances remaining at the end of the spring semester are forfeited and do not carry over to the summer or fall semsters.
How do I use Red Hawk Dollars?
The first step is to obtain your MSU ID card. Your RH$ account is tied to the MSU ID card. Simply present your MSU ID card to the cashier where Red Hawk Dollars are accepted and state you would like to pay with Red Hawk Dollars. Your card is swiped through the register and payment is completed. Account balances appear on the sales receipt as well as the Online Card Office and Red Hawk Dollars app!
- University Dining Services locations
- Select off campus merchants
- On campus vending machines
- University Bookstore and eFollett
- The ID Card Office
- Student Recreation Center
- University Health Center
- Parking Services (permits and violations payments only)
- Center for Student Involvement
- Sprague Library copiers and circulation desk
- Paper Cut printing services
The Online Card Office offers students, faculty, staff, family and friends the opportunity to purchase Red Hawk Dollars 24/7 via the internet.
Red Hawk Dollars app for Apple and Android devices: Visit iTunes and the Google Play store to download the latest Red Hawk Dollars app!
Cash and check payments are accepted at the ID Card Office and cashier’s window at the Bursar’s office during normal business hours
- Credit from your student account can be transferred to a RH$ account. Simply log into your WESS account to view your billing statement. If your financial aid loan, grant or scholarship has posted to your account and created a credit amount, up to $1,500.00 of that credit may be transferred to a RH$ account. Fill out the Account Credit Transfer form and fax it to 973-655-3427 or drop it off at the Red Hawk Dollar office in the Student Center. Funds are posted to accounts within 24 hours of receipt of the form.
Credit on student accounts can be transferred to a RH$ account prior to the start of a semester providing the funding is posted to the account.
Beat the rush and avoid waiting on line!
Can parents or relatives purchase Red Hawk Dollars for me?
Yes, by using the The Online Card Office web page. Please be sure they know your CWID #!
If I close my Red Hawk Dollar account, can I receive cash at the time of closing?
No. When Red Hawk Dollar accounts are closed, funds remaining over $15.00 are posted as credit to your University WESS account. If an account balance is due, the credit is applied to the account balance due. If the account has a zero balance due, the credit will be processed into a refund check by the Bursar’s Office and mailed to your address on file. Please contact the Bursar’s office (973-655-4105) for details about receiving payment on account credit.
How do I close my Red Hawk Dollar account?
Submit a RH$ Account Closure form . Accounts may only be closed upon graduation, withdrawal from the University, or termination of employment. A processing fee of $15 will be charged to the Red Hawk Dollar account prior to closure and refund calculation.
All University debts must be satisfied prior to a refund being processed. When an account is closed, credit is placed back onto the student's billing statement. This credit (minus the $15 closure fee) will either be processed into a refund or reduce an account balance due. All requests for refunds must be received within ninety (90) days of graduation, withdrawal, or termination. Any funds left in the account longer than ninety (90) days are forfeited and become the property of the University.