WESS Registration Procedures (Fall)
- Obtain academic advising so that you are prepared to choose courses appropriate to your specific program of study.
- For eligibility to register, consult the Registration and Advisement Information section in the Schedule of Courses Book.
- Log on to WESS at wfs.montclair.edu.
- Identify the 5-digit CALL NUMBER for each course that you wish to register for. CALL NUMBERS are displayed to the right of the course (select either "Course Section" or "Course Section Search").
If a course section requires a special fee or has a standard note, a prerequisite, a co-requisite, or some other restriction, that information will appear under Section Title.
- When you are ready to register for courses, you will be required to enter your Campus Wide Identification Number (CWID) and your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
Students who have yet to establish a PIN: A six digit PIN has been initially assigned to you. Initially assigned PINs will be the date of birth on file for you. For example, if the date of birth on file for you is July 12, 1995, your assigned PIN would be 071295.
Students who forget the changed PIN which they have created, should log on to wfs.montclair.edu and click on "I Forgot My PIN." You will need to enter your Student ID number and enter your PIN answer. You can also come to the Office of the Registrar and present 2 forms of ID, one of which must be a photo ID.
- Upon successful entry of a valid Campus Wide ID Number and Personal ID Number, below the heading "Registration" click on DROP and ADD CLASSES. To process adds and /or drops, choose the appropriate term then click, Submit.
- To add a course use the Add Class Section (see sample below). Enter the 5-digit Call Number for the course(s) you wish to add in the appropriate box(es), and then click, Submit. WESS will confirm your add(s) or give you a message stating why you cannot add a course (i.e., a cancelled or closed course, no prerequisite or a time conflict). If necessary, you can then continue to enter other CALL NUMBERS.
If you have been given either a Permit or Authorization from an Academic Department, you must officially register for the course (s) immediately.
For permits only, on the menu bar, select Registration, then Drop and Add Classes. If the course(s) listed below the “Important Message Regarding Permits” section do not appear on the “Currently Registered Classes” section with a Status of “Enrolled,” you are not registered for the course(s).
For either Permits or Authorizations, on the menu bar, select Registration, then Detailed Schedule. If in the Message Column there is a message of “Permit Submitted” or “Authorization Submitted”, you are not registered for the course(s).
Please note that all registration holds must be cleared before you will be able to register. Registration holds can also be checked on WESS.
- To drop a course, select the Drop action in the Action field. Then click Submit. If no options are listed in the Action field, then the class may not be dropped. When adds/drops are complete, review and print your schedule.
- The "Registration Cart" feature allows you to search for available courses, save them and come back to them at a later time. To view available courses on WESS, select either "Course Section" or "Course Section Search."
Note: Courses in your Registration Cart will not guarantee you a seat in the class; may not fit into your schedule and are not officially registered until you go to the Registration Drop and Add Classes page to complete the registration process
- No adds will be allowed after Final Add/Drop Period Deadline (see Withdrawal Procedures, Deadlines and Refund Policy for dates). Any student issued a permit or authorization by an Academic Department after Final Add/Drop Period Deadline must come in person or contact the Office of the Registrar to officially enroll in the course. Please note: It is your responsibility to register for any course for which you have been issued a permit or authorization. Failure to do so within three days of issuance will result in the deletion of the permit or authorization.
Sample of Add Class Section
Enter the Course Call Numbers below as listed in Course Sections | Course Section Search
(*No adds allowed after Final Drop/Add Period Deadline. Any student issued a permit or authorization by an Academic Department after the Final Drop/Add Period Program Deadline must come in person immediately or contact the Office of the
Registrar to officially enroll in the course).
What if WESS informs me that my Student ID Number is not on file?
If you are a recent applicant to the University:
- undergraduate applicants should contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at (973) 655-4444.
- graduate applicants should contact The Graduate School at (973) 655-5147.
If you attended the University prior to Fall 2013:
- undergraduate applicants should contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at (973) 655-4444
- graduate applicants should contact The Graduate School at (973) 655-5147.
If you attended the University during the Fall 2013 term or later you should contact the Office of the Registrar at (973) 655-4376.
What if WESS informs me that my assigned Personal ID Number is not on file?
You should contact the Office of the Registrar at (973) 655-4376.
What if, after changing my assigned Personal ID Number, I forget it?
Students who forget their Personal Identification Number (PIN) can log on to wfs.montclair.edu . Click on "I Forgot My PIN". You will need to submit your Student ID Number and enter your PIN answer. You can also come to the Office of the Registrar and present 2 forms of ID, one of which must be a photo ID.
Are there public computer labs on campus?
Yes. Montclair State has a number of open computer labs for student use located throughout the campus. To check public computer lab (CALE) schedules and locations log on at http://oit.montclair.edu/tsc/labs/labschedule.html or call the University Help Desk at 973-655-7971.
When am I eligible to register?
Refer to "Eligibility to Register-Current or Returning Students" in the Registration and Advisement Information section of the Schedule of Courses Book at http://www.montclair.edu/registrar/schedulebook/fall/registration_advisement_infohtml_fall.html
How do I find out when my registration priority is?
To access your registration priority for the Fall 2014 semester log on to wfs.montclair.edu. Information regarding your registration priority will be available in late March.
What happens if I cannot access the Web at the time of my assigned registration priority?
The date and time, on which, you may begin to register, are not appointments but rather a point in time when you will be able to access WESS to register. You may register at any time after this date and time.
When can I change my schedule (add and/or drop courses)?
(see Withdrawal Procedures for further information.)
What happens if the course that I have selected has a departmental restriction?
You will not be permitted to register for the course unless you have obtained permission from the academic department. Upon authorization from the academic department, you must process the registration through WESS or contact the Office of the Registrar. Please note: It is your responsibility to register for any course for which you have been issued a permit or authorization. Failure to do so within three days of issuance will result in the deletion of the permit or authorization.
What should I do if I experience difficulty in using WESS?
You may come in to Office of the Registrar or call (973) 655-4376 during regular business hours. A staff member will assist you as needed. Office of the Registrar hours can be found at:http://www.montclair.edu/registrar/officehours/
What should I do after I make changes to my schedule?
Once you make an adjustment to your schedule, using WESS you can view and print your schedule. Your schedule will confirm any registration activity that you have completed. (The Student Schedule displays a graphic schedule in grids. The Detailed Schedule lists your course information, i.e. course title, start/end dates.)
Also, check your Account Summary. Payment is due immediately for any changes made after the first day of your class.
Can I check WESS for any course and /or room assignment changes?
Yes. It is extremely important that you check WESS prior to the start date of the semester and throughout the first week of the classes for any updated course additions, cancellations, room assignments and seat availability. Log on to wfs.montclair.edu.
How can I pay?
For Frequently Asked Billing/Payment information, log on to http://www.montclair.edu/student-accounts/frequently-asked-questions/.
Why should I have an MSU e-mail account?
Mail. Montclair accounts serve as the primary point of contact for correspondence with the University. Because of this, students are strongly encouraged to check this e-mail system often for notices from the University that may affect them. To establish an MSU email account, log on to: http://netid.montclair.edu.