Teacher Certification Procedures / Timelines

Montclair State University

The Office of the Registrar at MSU recommends qualifying students to the New Jersey Department of Education (NJ DOE) for educational credentials.  It is important to note, the NJ DOE grants the licenses and endorsements, not Montclair State University. 

Please carefully read and follow the steps below.

1. Run your DegreeWorks audit and confirm you have completed all academic degree requirements. Students with outstanding degree requirements cannot apply for 
licenses/endorsements. If you have a question about an outstanding requirement(s), see your faculty advisor.

2. Download the NJ DOE Application for Certification.

3. Complete the entire application. You MUST have the application notarized as directed. Free notary services are available in the SGA Office (Student Center Annex 103) during the following times:

Fall and Spring Semesters: 

8:00 am – 4:30 pm (Monday – Thursday)

8:00 am – 12:30 pm (Friday)

Summer Semester:

8:00 am – 3:00 pm (Monday – Thursday)     

4. Determine the appropriate fee by using the table below. If you have questions regarding the correct fee(s) please contact:

           The Office of the Registrar, Denise Rodak at 973-655-4376

5. Submit your completed application to the Office of the Registrar, College Hall 204, Montclair State University, by the deadline listed on the application. Payments should be made through NEST or in person at the Office of Student Accounts, College Hall 218.

6. Non-citizens must also complete the Non-Citizen Oath and Affidavit for Intent to Become a Citizen. **This form must also be notarized**.


Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is the difference between filing for graduation and an application for certification?

Graduation and certification are two separate processes. You MUST apply for final graduation audit in order to graduate from Montclair State University. If you are seeking teacher certification,
you must apply for this as well. You are not eligible to be certified until AFTER the degree date has been posted on your transcript. It is your responsibility to meet the University’s deadline to
apply for graduation and teacher certification. Late applicants for either of these may risk being delayed to another graduation term.

Click here for additional information about applying for graduation-final audit.

2. Are faxed/email applications accepted?

No. We do not accept faxed/emailed applications.

3. I correctly filed my application and completed all degree requirements.  When will I get my certification?

As of May 15, 2015, paper certificates will no longer be issued by the NJ DOE.  All certificate/endorsement information is now available online (including certificate ID number, date of issuance, and expiration date if
applicable) at the NJDOE Application Status Search.  Certificate/endorsement information will not be available until AFTER your certificate is officially issued by the NJ DOE.

Please see the time table for each graduation cycle below:

January 2018
Degrees conferred on January 31, 2018
Certifications sent to the NJ DOE by March 2, 2018
NJ DOE processing time is 5-10 business days

May 2017
Degrees conferred on May 25, 2017
Certifications sent to the NJ DOE by July 7, 2017
NJ DOE processing time is 5-10 business days

August 2017
Degrees conferred on August 31, 2017
Certifications sent to the NJ DOE by October 6, 2017
NJ DOE processing time is 5-10 business days

4. How do I apply for permanent certification?

During your first year of teaching, you will be enrolled in the Provisional Teacher Program by your hiring district.  Upon successful completion of your first year of full-time employment, your
district makes the recommendation to the state for a standard certification.  For additional information, please see the NJ DOE website.



Licensure Fees 2015/2016 (subject to NJ DOE changes)

$95.00 Fee

Director of School Counseling

Reading Specialist

School Counselor



$170 Fee

($95 if applicant holds a standard license in another area)

Teacher of Dance

Teacher of Italian

Teacher of Latin

Teacher of Students with Disabilities *

Teacher of English as a Second Language (ESL)

Student Assistance Coordinator

*If an applicant holds a standard license and a CE in Teacher of Students with Disabilities, the fee is $0.


$190 Fee

($95 if the applicant holds a CE in the same area in which he/she is seeking licensure)

Elementary Education Teacher K-6

Early Childhood Teacher P-3


Teacher of Art

Teacher of Biological Science

Teacher of Chemistry

Teacher of Earth Science

Teacher of English

Teacher of French

Teacher of Health and Physical Education

Teacher of Mathematics

Teacher of Music

Teacher of Physical Education

Teacher of Physical Science

Teacher of Physics

Teacher of Social Studies

Teacher of Spanish


If you are in a dual certification program or have chosen to pursue additional endorsements, please note each licensure area has an additional state fee.


 Supervisor ($95) and Principal ($190) = $285

 Elementary School Teacher K-6 ($190) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities ($170) = $360

 Teacher of English ($190) and Teacher of English as Second Language ($170) = $360