ECSI Student Tax Information (1098-T)
Montclair State University has partnered with Educational Computer Systems Inc. (ECSI) to provide you with your 1098-T Tax Form. The 1098-T Tax Form will be distributed by the week of January 27th. Students who have opted to receive their statements electronically will receive a notification with instructions on how to access the statement online. All other students will receive a printed statement delivered via First Class Postal Mail.
How can I get my login information if I do not know it?
Go to https://borrower.ecsi.net/
To view your tax form, you will need:
- Montclair State University School Code (WT)
- Account Number (SSN)
- A pin/password to access your account. Initially, ECSI assigns each account a PIN/Password. This PIN/Password will be your password until you log into your account and change it. If you have any trouble logging in, please click "Need Help Logging In?"
Initially, ECSI assigns each account a PIN/Password. This PIN/Password will be your password until you log into your account and change it.
If you have any trouble logging in, please click "Need Help Logging In?" Initially, ECSI assigns each account a PIN/Password. This PIN/Password will be your password until you log into your account and change it.
If you have any trouble logging in, please click "Need Help Logging In?"
How do I retrieve my login credentials?
*Login information is printed on the bottom of your 1098-T form. If your information was not printed, Go to https://cgi.ecsi.net/cgi-bin/bcgi.exe?bcgiu4
Enter all the information requested. Your login credentials will appear after you click submit. *Please note that the zip code entered must match the one on file that the school sent ECSI.
What if the SSN on my tax form is incorrect?
To correct your Social Security Number ("SSN") on your tax form, you must fill out Form W-9S. Go to http://www.ecsi.net/taxSelect/w9s.pdf
Please include your School Code (WT) and School name on the top of the form to help expedite your request. Please note that your SSN cannot be corrected without a W-9S form on file. After completing the form, you can submit it to ECSI using the following methods:
- PREFERRED: Scan the form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax the form to: (866) 450.8881.
- Mail the form to: 181 Montour Run Road, Coraopolis, PA 15108.
Please be sure to include your email address on the form. By providing your email address, ECSI will be able to notify you via email that your new form is available. You will also receive a new login for your website account.
What if the amounts on my tax form are incorrect?
- First, check to see if there is a form from the previous tax year, look on that form, if Box 7 was checked on the form from the previous year, then the tuition for the current tax year is on that form and is not included on the current form for this tax year.
- Second, check the current tax year form, if Box 7 is checked then it is including amounts for the academic period starting Jan - March of the next tax year.
- Third, this form is for qualified tuition and related expenses only, room and board will NOT be included. Payments will not be reflected; student will need to provide this information to their tax accountant.
- Fourth, if your scholarships are not reflected, check to see if box 2 and 7 are checked. Some schools will bill for the next tax year in fall of the current tax year but will not add scholarships to the student account until the next tax year. Therefore, those scholarships will be on next year's form.
- Fifth, have there been any changes to your class schedule. If box 2 and box 7 are checked for spring of the current tax year, and a class is added after the bill was sent, that change will be reflected on the tax form for next year.
Overview of Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997
The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 (TRA97) introduced several tax incentives on qualifying student loans. The Hope and Lifetime Learning credits provide the ability to take a tax credit for qualifying educational expense. TRA also provides a deduction for the interest paid on qualifying student loans. The Student Loan Interest Deduction is reported on an IRS Form 1098E. The Hope, Lifetime Learning, and American Opportunity Credits are reported on an IRS Form 1098T.
Hope, Lifetime Learning, and American Opportunity Credits (1098T)
If you have questions about the Hope, Lifetime Learning, and American Opportunity Credit, please go to:
Student Loan Interest Deduction (1098E)
If you have questions about the Student Loan Interest Deduction, please see:
Montclair State University & ECSI cannot offer tax advice regarding your tax forms. If you have any questions about if or how much interest you can deduct, you should consult with a qualified tax professional or contact the IRS Taxpayer Assistance line at 1-800-829-1040. The IRS web site has many documents concerning TRA-97, including some self-help topics for tax filers. See the list of links below for a more comprehensive list.
For further information, please refer to the link below:
Sample letter to student from ECSI
TaxSelect: Student Electronic Opt-In Notification
Montclair State University, in conjunction with ECSI, are offering you the opportunity to receive your 1098-T Tuition Statement electronically this year. If you would like to receive your 1098-T form electronically, please give your consent by following the link provided below and following the step-by-step instructions.
1098-T Electronic Consent: http://www.ecsi.net/gateway/1098t-signup.html?school=WT
If you choose to receive a paper copy of your 1098-T statement, simply do nothing.
The benefits to receiving electronic notification are:
- Online delivery provides access to the form 1098-T earlier than the traditional mailing process.
- Online delivery eliminates the chance that the 1098-T will get lost, misdirected or delayed during delivery, or misplaced once the student receives it.
- Signing up for online delivery is easy and secure.
- Students can receive their 1098-T form even while traveling or on assignment away from their home address.
To give consent to receive your 1098-T form electronically, click on the link below and follow the simple instructions to sign up!
Step 1: Website: http://www.ecsi.net/gateway/1098t-signup.html?school=WT
Step 2: Signup for Electronic Statements by entering your Student ID (not SSN), Name, and Email Address (with the option to include an alternate email address). ECSI's website is a secure website and ECSI will not share your private information with anyone. This email is strictly sent to gather your consent for receiving an electronic 1098-T Form.
Step 3: Read information, check box and click submit.
If you have any questions, please visit http://www.ecsi.net/taxinfo.html for information regarding your tax documents and to obtain contact information for ECSI.
Montclair State University
c/o ECSI's Tax Department
ECSI: Service Never Rests
181 Montour Run Road | Coraopolis, PA 15108