Frequently Asked Questions

When will I get my statement/bill?

Beginning July 2009, Montclair State University (MSU) will no longer mail paper bills or statements.  All statements will be posted and available for viewing on the Student Web Enrollment Student Services (WESS) Account Summary website.  
Statements will be posted on WESS by the end of July for the Fall semester, by mid-November for the Spring semester and by the beginning of April for the Summer sessions. These statements will be updated at the end of each business day to reflect any changes to your tuition and fee charges as a result of changes you may make to your schedule.  You should check your WESS Account Summary the day after you make any change to your schedule..  If someone other than yourself will be making payment, please inform that person of the balance due MSU and the payment due date.  The payment due date and all payment options are listed on the student accounts web page ( and on WESS at the Payment Options link on the Account Summary page.   

What happens if I do not review my bill using WESS? 
Once you have registered for classes, you are responsible for all charges associated with that semester by the due date.  A late charge will be assessed if full payment is not made as indicated online. Please refer to the Student Schedule of Courses Booklet at or contact our office for further billing information and/or procedures.
If the student’s financial commitment to Montclair State University becomes delinquent at any time, Student Accounts will send the student notification to the address on file. It is the student’s obligation to update any address MSU has on record. Financial obligations include but are not limited to tuition, room, board, course fees, parking fines, library fines, residence hall fines and any special fees or fines charged to a student’s account. If the account remains unresolved, it will be referred to a collection agency for collection and it may also be sent to credit bureaus for reporting purposes. Once an account is placed in collection the student will be liable for all collection and/or attorney’s fees (30% to 50% of the amount placed in collection).

If I add a class during add/drop or before the semester, when is the payment due? 
Payment is due immediately.  It is the responsibility of the student to check his/her, MSU email, WESS account online and/or students are always welcome to stop into our office for further assistance.  Your Montclair State E-mail is the MAIN form of communication.  Failure to check your Montclair State email, errors in forwarding e-mail, and returned email (from an "over quota" mail box or "unknown user" or other error message) will not excuse a student from missing deadlines. 

How can I get a copy of my bill and when is payment due?

You can print a copy of your Account Summary/bill by accessing your WESS account. You will be able to view your current semester bill on your WESS account plus all previous semesters. Payment is due by the due date as shown on WESS. Remember, if you do not receive a bill, you are still responsible for payment by the due date and a late charge will be assessed if full payment is not made.

How can I pay my statement/bill?

Cash: You may pay with cash at the cashier’s window, in person at College Hall, Room 216. You must have the students CWID number.

E-Check Payment: We will also accept payments via an e-check; this service is convenient and complimentary. Please use the link entitled e-check on the " Account Summary" page of WESS. You will need to enter your CWID, routing and checking account number. Computer terminals are provided in our Student Accounts office in College Hall, Room 218 for e-check payments. Payments returned for any reason will be assessed an additional fee*. If MSU receives any returned payments your account will be flagged and e-check will not be accepted as payment again. If paying with an e-check Montclair State University waits approximately 3 business days before removing any type of transcript or registration holds. Please note that the e-check only gives you the option to pay from your personal checking/savings accounts. Checks that are received as an advance payment using a credit card number/line of credit, mutual fund accounts, money market accounts, cashier checks can not be processed using the E-check payment option. Do not use the account number printed on your ATM card.

*Please note: There will be a $60 fee assessed for all returned/rejected e-check payments due to incorrect information i.e.; invalid account number, can not locate account, non-sufficient funds, stop payments, etc. Your payment may be posted to your MSU account initially, but if a transaction is submitted, and your bank cannot process for any of the above reasons, that payment is returned to us as "unpaid" your payment will be removed from your account as a result and a $60 fee will be assessed. Please double check your entries including your CWID to ensure they are entered correctly before submitting your payment.

Check/Money Order: You may remit a check or money order payment in person or mail to: Montclair State University; Cashier's Office; College Hall Room 216; Montclair, NJ 07043. Make check/money order payable to Montclair State University. Please indicate the student's CWID number on the check/money order. We may also include a return envelope with your invoice to send payment directly to our bank. A charge will be assessed to the student's account for returned checks. When making a payment for past semesters to register for a future semester all payments must be certified check, money order, or cash. If paying with a personal check Montclair State University waits approximately two weeks before removing holds on transcripts or registration.

MSU Credit Card Policy: Credit cards payments are accepted online only.

 The Cashier’s Office at Montclair State University does not accept credit cards for payment of student accounts. We have arranged with TouchNet to accept online credit card payments on our behalf. TouchNet accepts American Express, MasterCard, Discover and Visa. Please note, that there will be a non-refundable convenience fee charged based on and in addition to your payment amount. You can pay by credit card on line by accessing your WESS account Summary

For your accessibility in processing your credit card payments, computer terminals are provided in the Office of Student Accounts located in College Hall, Room 218. The convenience fee is always applied regardless if a computer is utilized in our office or elsewhere.

Please note, when requesting a refund the actual amount paid for tuition and fees will be applied back to your credit card.

Does Montclair State University offer payment plans?

Montclair State University will offer a payment plan for the Fall Semester beginning in June 2016. This is a self-monitored payment plan. All students are responsible for ensuring their contracts are correct and payments are up to date. Students can enroll for 1 semester at a time. This plan is interest free and available for a modest fee. Enrollment is available for a limited time. This is NOT a loan.

To avoid a late fee in the fall with Montclair State University, you must ensure your payment plan is established prior to the semester due date, monthly payments are made on time and your budget contract amount is enough to cover your total due to the University.

Please refer to our Payment Deadlines so you may plan accordingly. Past due balances may not be included as part of the plan. The University will cancel these payment plans.

Please check back in June 2016 for updated payment plan information and instructions. Thank you for your cooperation.

What happens if I do not pay by the due date?

Should a student account remain unpaid, the University may (in no specific order)…

  • Assess a late payment fee based on the amount posted on the Student Account web page.
  • Place a hold on the account
  • Deactivate Canvas access
  • Drop all current semester class(es)
  • Removed from the residence hall 
  • Withhold release of transcripts and/or certificate of degree

Failure to remit payment will result in your being account referred to an agency for collection and the credit-reporting bureau(s) will be notified of failure to pay this obligation. Once an account is placed with an agency, payment arrangements can no longer be made with the University. The student will then be liable for all collection and/or attorney fees (up to a maximum of 50% added to the unpaid balance).

If I add a class during add/drop or before the semester, when is the payment due?

If a class is added after your original account summary is posted on WESS, payment is due immediately. It is the responsibility of the student to check his/her WESS account online after making changes to their schedule. If registering for the 1st time right before the beginning of the semester and/or during the add/drop period, payment is due immediately. A bill will not be mailed – you will need to either log onto your WESS account or stop into Student Accounts for a copy of your bill.

Why are my financial aid/awards-scholarships/loans not on my bill?

Your aid/awards/loans will be listed on your bill as an "estimated" amount on the bottom of the statement/bill, but if it is not listed, you will need to contact the Office of Financial Aid either at or in College Hall, Room 208/973-655-4461 for further assistance.

What is FERPA? What does it mean?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education. For the complete MSU policy and description, consult the Student Development and Campus Life web page.

What happens if I withdraw from The University?

Once you have registered you are responsible for all charges associated with that semester. If you decide not to attend any or all of your courses, you must officially withdraw through WESS at or submit a written notice to the Registrars office located in College Hall, Room 204. It is the student’s obligation to drop/withdraw from their classes. All tuition and fee appeals must be submitted in writing to Student Accounts, College Hall, Room 218. If you have received a refund prior to the cancellation or reduction that amount will be owed back to the University. Students that withdraw and have received financial aid must contact that office (973-655-4461 or Some of your aid may need to be returned. Any balance that results from a reduction in aid is the responsibility of the student.

When and how do I receive a refund check?

If all of your financial aid information is complete, you may get a refund after add/drop as listed in the Schedule of Courses. Montclair State University offers the use of DIRECT DEPOSIT for all types of refund checks that are generated by activity on your student account. Your money will be deposited directly into your checking or savings account. To participate in this service you will need to complete a Direct Deposit form. This form can be accessed on your WESS account at, which is generally available 7am to 11pm, Monday-Friday and noon to 6pm, Saturday-Sunday. The link is Student Bank Account Information. If you choose not to participate in Direct Deposit ensure your mailing address is correct as shown on WESS. Please note that if you enroll in Direct Deposit and decide to change your mind, you will need to deactivate your account via WESS.

Where can I obtain my parking decal?

Parking is managed by Standard Parking located on the first floor of the Red Hawk Deck parking garage. All payment of fines, decals, removals of any type of hold and/or questions should be directed to them at 973-655-7580 or go to the Parking Website.

Who can I contact for help?

You are always welcome to stop into our office in College Hall, Room 218 or contact us at 973-655-4177. E-mails can also be sent to us at Please ensure that your full name and CWID number is provided with your e-mail. Our semester hours are from 8:30am-6:00pm on Mondays & Thursdays and 8:30am-4:30pm on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Fridays during the Fall & Spring semesters. Summer hours may differ, please contact our office for further information.

Please monitor your WESS account and MSU e-mail address regularly throughout your semesters in order to avoid any discrepancies with your semester bills. Montclair State E-mail is the MAIN form of communication.  Failure to check your Montclair State email, errors in forwarding e-mail, and returned email (from an "over quota" mail box or "unknown user" or other error message) will not excuse a student from missing deadlines.  Please do not ignore these e-mails and forward them to the individual(s) responsible for payment if it is not you.