Peer Leadership Program
Peer Leadership Program
Peer Leaders (Summer only)
Montclair State University provides countless opportunities for our students to enhance their academic and personal growth. The Peer Leader Program is one of those great opportunities. During New Student Orientation our Peer Leaders serve as invaluable resources that facilitate a positive transition for new students and their family members.
Peer Leaders (PLs) are Montclair State University undergraduate students who possess leadership qualities and have a desire to be first-year student advocates. Peer leaders provide support during New Student Orientation and other first-year programs. Peer Leaders are committed, hardworking, intelligent, resourceful, and enthusiastic students who possess a strong desire to work with a diverse population of first-year students and their family members. Through rigorous training and development they develop the skills necessary to enhance the quality of the New Student Orientation program on a continuous basis. Peer Leaders must integrate their roles as college representatives, community builders, programmers, and student advocates. It is the expectation of CAST that each Peer Leader is genuinely interested in the welfare of all first-year students and their family members.
Peer Advisor Program (Fall and Spring)
Peer Advisors (PA) are a dynamic team of undergraduate students who provide low-level advisement in the Center for Advising and Student Transitions (CAST). Peer Advisors are available to assist you with choosing an academic major or minor, selecting courses for the fall and spring semesters, responding to your email and telephone questions, and explaining how to complete various advising related forms. The Peer AdvisorProgram is an extension of the existing Peer Leadership program.
Our office is now hiring Peer Leaders for Summer 2016 and Peer Advisors for the 2016/2017 Academic Year
- Peer Leaders (Summer only) – Must attend mandatory spring training every Wednesday from 2:30-5pm starting February 24, 2016. Must be available from June-August 2016
- Peer Advisors (Fall/Spring only) – Must attend 2 day training in May 17 & 18 2016.Must be available to work in the Fall 2016 and Spring 2017 semester.
First and foremost we would like to thank you for your interest in the 2015-2016 Peer Leadership Selection Process!
The online application is just one part of the application process. You must also submit your references. All application materials are due on specific due dates so please read carefully!
- Peer Leader position application and references are due no later than December 11, 2015
- Peer Advisor position application and references are due no later than March 2, 2016
- If you wish to apply for both you must submit separate applications but you can use the same references.
Two letters of recommendation must be submitted for both positions (you can use the same if applying for both)
- ONE MUST BE from a Montclair State University faculty and/or staff member. Student references (both undergraduate and graduate level) will NOT be accepted.
- ONE from an individual that is not a relative or friend (employment, church, high school advisor, etc.). A second MSU Faculty or Staff member can complete the second form.
The application for both positions must be submitted via the links below. References must be submitted by hard copy to the Center for Advising & Student Transitions in Webster Hall Room 200A.
Qualified Peer Leader applicants will be invited to attend a Group Interview Process on Wednesday January 27, 2016 between 2:30pm-5:00pm.
Applicants who successfully make it past the group interview process will be invited to attend an individual interview the week of February 1 – February 12, 2016.
- Decision letters will be emailed no later than Tuesday, February 16, 2016.
- Spring training begins Wednesday, February 24, 2016 – April 20, 2016.
Qualified Peer Advisor applicants will be invited to attend an individual interview during the week of March 14- March 23rd.
Applicants who successfully make it past the individual interview process will be invited to attend a group interview on Friday April 8th between 2-4pm.
- Decision letters will be emailed no later than Monday, April 15, 2016.
- Training will take place on Monday May 17, 2016 and Tuesday May 18, 2016. Please plan according
Apply to be a Summer 2016 Peer Leader!
Peer Leader Application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/2016PeerLeaderMSU)
Apply to be a 2016-2017 Peer Advisor
Peer Advisor Application (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/9SQVZVY)