Peer Advisors (PA) are a dynamic team of undergraduate students who provide low-level advisement in the Center for Advising and Student Transitions (CAST). Peer Advisors are available to assist you with choosing an academic major or minor, selecting courses for the fall and spring semesters, responding to your email and telephone questions, and explaining how to complete various advising related forms.
- Must be a current undergraduate student at Montclair State University
- Senior applicants cannot be graduating seniors
- Have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.0 at the end of the semester
- Have earned at least 30 credits at Montclair State University by the end of the spring semester
- Understand that judicial records will be reviewed by the Dean of Students and the Office of Residential Education and Services
- Possess leadership potential as evidenced by previous leadership experiences, recommendations, and staff evaluations
- Demonstrate high levels of maturity through sound judgment, emotional stability, flexibility, and willingness to accept responsibility
- Be willing to invest time and energy to learn new behaviors that will be useful for effective functioning in the Peer Advisor role.
- Embody strong interpersonal skills through proven ability to interact effectively with others.
- An ability to adapt well to a variety of situations and personalities.
- Be aware of and sensitive to various human relations issues as evidenced by interactions with others in the MSU community.
Peer Advisors must demonstrate a professional attitude, the willingness to lead, follow and take directions, and be engaged in assisting new students.They must be committed to their own personal and academic growth as well as managing their time, work, and social lives, and they must maintain all levels of confidentiality and have a solid understanding of FERPA polices as it relates to advisement.
For more information, please visit the CAST PROGRAMS page
Also feel free to email at email@example.com
Is there training?
Yes; Training will take place in Spring following hiring.