Through leadership development, education, advocacy, and support services, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ) Center at Montclair State University strives to create a campus environment inclusive and supportive of sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression.
- Support the welfare, developmental process, academic success, and retention of LGBTQ+ students
- Provide resources, programs, and experiences that support and expand student leadership development
- Increase community awareness and allyship of LGBTQ people and issues
- Consult with campus partners on LGBTQ-inclusive programs, procedure, services, and policies
Values of our Peer Education Program
- Advocacy: We enhance the campus environment by identifying needs for LGBTQ inclusive campus programs, services and policies, and speak out for those who cannot do so for the betterment of all the community.
- Courage: We stand up willingly and appropriately for all members of our community and exhibit the confidence and tenacity required to make bold decisions despite challenges or difficulties.
- Education: We develop the power of skill, reasoning, and judgment to prepare students and ourselves for a mature, more culturally aware life through providing practical experiences beyond the classroom.
- Integrity: We ensure our staff and fellow students have an intuitive sense of honesty, responsibility, accountability, and respect for all members of the community.
- Service: We are committed to providing excellent service through quality response. Our Center’s staff listens, prioritizes, follows through, and communicates to meet the needs and concerns of all members of the University community.
- Social Justice: We create agents of change. We promote diversity, multicultural competence and global awareness by presenting educational, cultural, and social opportunities for students, faculty, and staff about social issues that challenge intolerance and promote acceptance.