As of August 2013, hormone therapy prescriptions are covered in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), which is available to all students.
If you are not covered by the University-sponsored plan and are covered by a family member’s health plan, then you will need to check your specific guidelines of coverage. In addition, the University Health Center does not provide initial prescriptions for hormone treatments. However, the UHC providers will offer continued hormonal therapy management and assistance with administering injectable medications after initial consultation and start by an endocrinologist or other clinical provider who specializes in trans health. This can be done through collaborative care management between your outside provider and the UHC. You can call 973-655-3459 to schedule an appointment at UHC to discuss your needs and obtain information on the requirements needed for care at the UHC .
As of August 2015, gender confirming surgeries are covered in the University Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), which is available to all students.
If you are not covered by the University-sponsored plan and are covered by a family member’s health plan, then you will need to check your specific guidelines of coverage.
United Health Care Transgender Support Representative
For all questions regarding transgender-inclusive services in our Student Health Insurance Plan, please contact Dave Opperman at 866 780-4768 and/or email email@example.com directly.
Trans people see therapists for both trans and non-trans related issues. While you do not have to have a counselor who is also a gender identity specialist, someone who specializes in gender may be more likely to be trans-inclusive, friendly, and knowledgeable about trans-related issues and concerns. For general counselor referrals, students may go to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) in Russ Hall. The SHIP covers psychotherapy visits to gender identity specialists in the same manne as other psychotherapy care.
If you are looking for someone who is knowledgeable about and specializes in gender identity, below are a few providers in the area that students or staff have recommended in the past. If you are aware of someone who we should add to the list, please let us know.
- David Rogoff, MS, LPC
24 North 3rd Avenue, Suite 202
Highland Park, New Jersey 08904
- Leora Perlman, LPC
103 Park Street
Montclair, NJ 07042
- Tracy Post
TLP Counseling, LLC
20 Nassau Street
Princeton, New Jersey 08540
- Wendy Matthews, PHD, Clinical Psychologist
Experienced with transgender children and their parents.
20 Nassau St
Princeton, NJ 08542
For those who are seeking hormones or surgery, it is important to note some providors will not help you begin the physical component of transitioning unless you are also working with a therapist. In addition to the counselors above, these resources might be helpful to you:
- The Institute for Personal Growth, or IPG, is a counseling and psychotherapy group in New Jersey and New York City. Its staff has been pioneers in the fields of gender and sexuality therapy, and a large proportion of their counselors are non-heterosexual and gender-nonconforming. For more information and to schedule an appointment visit:
- The Mazonni Center is the only LGBT-specific healthcare provider in the Philadelphia region. For more information, visit
http://mazzonicenter.org/. Trans-specific services include but are not limited to: counseling and support groups, legal services, hormone therapy, primary medical care and referrals, and laser hair removal. For more information on their trans-specific services, visit: http://mazzonicenter.org/content/trans-care-mazzoni-center.
- The LGBT Community Center in NYC offers short-term individual and group counseling, extensive referrals to more intensive, LGBT-friendly mental health services, and referrals to private therapists in NYC through their Center Care program. For more information call 646-556-9300 and ask to speak with a Center CARE counselor or visit: http://www.gaycenter.org/health/mentalhealth/services.
The Gender Identity Project is an initiative at the LGBT Community Center. They offer monthly support groups that you can attend on a drop-in basis. Groups include the Feminine Spectrum, Masculine Spectrum, Trans Families and Friends, and several trans-related groups for Spanish-speakers. For more information visit: http://www.gaycenter.org/health/groups#gip.
Medical Providers and LGBTQ Clinics
- The Mazonni Center (PA) is the only LGBT-specific healthcare provider in the Philadelphia region. For more information, visit http://mazzonicenter.org/. Their trans-specific services include but are not limited to: counseling and support groups, legal services, hormone therapy, primary medical care and referrals, and laser hair removal. For more information on their trans-specific services, visit: http://mazzonicenter.org/content/trans-care-mazzoni-center.
- Callen-Lorde (NYC) offers medical, dental, and mental health-care services. All providers are experienced with and knowledgeable about issues particular to LGBT communities and communities living with HIV/AIDS. Se habla espanol. Their trans-specific services include, but are not limited to: STI screening and treatment, hormone therapy, and counseling. For more information on their trans-specific services, visit http://www.callen-lorde.org/transgender.html.
- The Papillon Gender Wellness Center (New Hope, PA) was founded in 2000 by Dr. Christine McGinn, D.O. trans-identified plastic and reconstructive surgeon, whose formal training was tailored specifically to transgender surgery. Services include but are not limited to: gender confirmation surgery, hormone therapy, electrolysis, and counseling. The Papillion Gender Wellness Center is only accessible by car. For more information, visit:
Transgender Experienced Health Care Providers
- Dr. Lisa O’Connor (She is transgender)
Healthy Transitions, LLC
1390 Valley Road
Stirling, NJ 07980
Surgeons with Transgender Experience
- Dr. Christine McGinn
Papillon Gender Wellness Center
18 Village Row, Suite 43
New Hope, PA 18938
- Dr. Sherman Leis
The Philadelphia Center for Transgender Surgery
19 Montgomery Ave.
Bala Cynwyd, PA USA
- Dr. Marci Bowers
San Mateo, California
719-846-9500 / 877-439-9922
- Dr. Pierre J. Brassard, MD FRCSC
995 De Salaberry
Canada HEL 1L2
- Dr. Alan Friedman
885 Northern Blvd.
Great Neck, NY 11021
- Carol Ramdoo, L.E. CPE
12 Roszel Road, Suite A-201
Princeton, NJ 08540
Highland Park Office
320 Raritan Ave, Suite 309
Highland Park, NJ 08904
- Vinessa Anthony, CPE, LE
Board Certified Electrologist
Member of the AEA
531 Ridge Road
Lyndhurst, NJ 07071 (located in Gentle Dental)
- Kathe S. Perez, M.A., CCC
Speech Language Pathologist
Exceptional Voice, Inc.
650 S. Cherry Street, Suite 1410
Denver, CO 80246-1814
Toll Free 1-866-4-MY-VOICE