Images from the formal opening of The Heights and of the facilities.
The Heights at Montclair State University is the largest residence and dining complex in New Jersey with approximately 568,000 square feet of living quarters and a 24,000-square-foot dining area. The state-of-the-art complex is also the first public-private partnership construction project to be developed under the New Jersey Economic Stimulus Act. With the opening of the Heights, the University can accommodate nearly 2,000 additional resident students on campus. [See the details on the Residential Education website.]
The Heights' primary building complexes are named in honor of two local New Jersey residents, Anthony M. Dinallo and John Victor Machuga, commemorated by their families and friends for their commitments and contributions to the community.
A life-long resident of Hasbrouck Heights, Anthony M. Dinallo was a top athlete in football, basketball and baseball at Hasbrouck Heights High School. A college graduate, Marine World War II veteran, and dedicated family man, Dinallo co-founded Terminal Construction in Wood-Ridge, New Jersey with his brother Richard in 1945. The company has been associated with some of the state's largest construction projects, including several buildings on the Montclair State campus.
Determined, hard working, and self-reliant, John Victor Machuga was a native of Paterson who earned both a bachelor's degree and master's degree while holding down a full-time job. He had an entrepreneurial spirit and never-ending thirst for knowledge. Upon his death, his friends and family realized his final wish by establishing the John Victor Machuga Foundation to provide support for education, research, the arts, and health care.