The University receives national recognition for excellence in a number of areas. These include:
- In 2016, the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education recognized Montclair State as a Research Doctoral University, in recognition of the substantial growth in its doctoral-level education and research activities.
- Montclair State met the criteria set forth by the U.S. Department of Education to be considered a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), highlighting the institution’s unprecedented growth and its commitment to providing underserved populations access to affordable higher education.
- In 2015, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching named Montclair State a Community Engaged Campus, in recognition of the University’s long-standing dedication and commitment to community engagement.
- U.S. News & World Report listed Montclair State among the top 200 national universities in the country in their 2017 rankings.
- Montclair State’s graduate programs in elementary teacher education and secondary teacher education were both ranked #14 in U.S. News & World Report’s 2017 Best Education Schools.
- The Feliciano School of Business was included in the 2016 edition of The Best 294 Business Schools published by The Princeton Review.
- The Princeton Review Guide to 361 Green Colleges: 2016 Edition included Montclair State in its rankings of America’s greenest campuses.
- The 2016 Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education ranking of the Top U.S. Colleges listed Montclair State among the nation’s top 100 public colleges and universities.
- In 2016, Montclair State’s BFA Dance program was ranked fifth in the nation on the OnStage Top 10 Dance Programs list.
- Forbes’ 2016 edition of America’s Top Colleges listed Montclair State in its rankings.
- Money magazine ranked Montclair State #15 among the nation’s “50 Colleges that Add the Most Value” for 2016.
- Montclair State was named to the Campus Pride Top 30 LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges and Universities list in 2016.
- In 2016, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education named Montclair State a “Top Degree Producer” in its ranking of institutions that confer the most degrees to minority students.