The University receives national recognition for excellence in a number of areas. These include:
- In 2017, the State of New Jersey designated Montclair State a Public Research University.
- The Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education recognized Montclair State as a Research Doctoral University in 2016, in recognition of the substantial growth in its doctoral-level education and research activities.
- Montclair State met the criteria set forth by the U.S. Department of Education to be considered a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI), highlighting the institution’s unprecedented growth and its commitment to providing underserved populations access to affordable higher education.
- In 2015, the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching named Montclair State a Community Engaged Campus, in recognition of the University’s long-standing dedication and commitment to community engagement.
- U.S. News & World Report listed Montclair State among the top 200 national universities in the country in their 2018 rankings.
- Montclair State’s graduate programs in elementary teacher education and secondary teacher education were both ranked #14 in U.S. News & World Report’s 2017 Best Education Schools.
- The Feliciano School of Business was included in the 2017 edition of The Best 294 Business Schools published by The Princeton Review.
- The Princeton Review Guide to 375 Green Colleges: 2017 Edition included Montclair State in its rankings of America’s greenest campuses.
- Montclair State was included in The Wall Street Journal/Times Higher Education College Rankings 2017 list.
- Montclair State was ranked #8 out of 2,000 four-year colleges and universities by Alarms.org in its “Safest Colleges in America 2017” list.
- In 2016, Montclair State’s BFA Dance program was ranked fifth in the nation on the OnStage Top 10 Dance Programs list.
- Forbes included Montclair State in its 2017 editions of America’s Top Colleges and America's Best Value Colleges rankings.
- Money magazine ranked Montclair State among the nation’s “Best Colleges for Your Money” in 2017.
- Montclair State was named to the Campus Pride Top 25 LGBTQ-Friendly Colleges and Universities list in 2017.
- In 2017, Diverse: Issues in Higher Education named Montclair State a “Top Degree Producer” in its ranking of institutions that confer the most degrees to minority students.
- The MBA and Accounting programs of the Feliciano School of Business were both ranked in the top three out of 25 New Jersey institutions in the 2017 NJBIZ Reader Rankings.