Montclair State University requires all full-time undergraduate and graduate students as defined by the University (12 or more credits for undergraduate, 9 or more credits for graduate)to carry health insurance. The University offers a plan through UnitedHealthcare as an option for coverage.
Premiums for 2016-2017
Undergraduate Students $1,605.00
Graduate Students $3,033.00
Full time students are automatically enrolled in this plan and charged for the insurance premium. You have the option to stay enrolled or waive the plan if covered by another carrier. Details of your options can be found in Health Insurance Requirements and Options for Coverage.
- Waivers must be completed by the established deadlines.
- Copies submitted to UHC or any office does not constitute a waiver and is not acceptable. All waivers must be completed online at firststudent.com.
- Students who do not complete a waiver by the deadline will be automatically enrolled in the plan and will be responsible for the annual premium.
- Students who waive their insurance in the fall may not enroll in the spring semester.
- Following United Health Care requirements, the University reserves the right to make the final determination regarding eligibility for the initial and continued enrollment in this insurance plan.
- A valid insurance card must be available when waiving the insurance. Pending insurance coverage or a letter from your employer or third company is not acceptable.
- The University reserves the right to audit all waivers in order to ensure compliance with the University insurance requirements. Please be sure to have a copy of your insurance policy as you may be asked to provide this documentation.
- The Office of Student Accounts will send reminder emails to students that have not completed a waiver, this will be the only form of notification you will receive. It is very important that you review your MSU email and take action by the deadline.
DEADLINE: Fall 2016 insurance waiver must be submitted online at www.firststudent.com by September 26, 2016.
Unfortunately, part time students or dependents do not have an opportunity to purchase insurance through United Health Care. However, part time students who wish to purchase an individual insurance policy can find information at Health Insurance Requiremetns and Options for Coverage
Students enrolled in a comparable health insurance plan may be eligible to waive the Student Health Insurance Plan. If you already have health insurance coverage through your family spouse or employer, you may opt to waive the University Plan by completing a Health Insurance Waiver form online at www.firststudent.com.
- Go to the Montclair State University First Student website.
- Select “Waive Your School’s Health Insurance” on the left hand side of the page, 2nd tab
- Select “Waive Now”
- Enter Student’s Date of Birth (mm/dd/yyyy) and Student’s CWID # to access the waiver form.
- Complete the Waiver Form with the required health insurance information. Do not leave any fields blank.
- Print your confirmation page. If you do not receive a confirmation, your waiver was not submitted successfully.
It is important that you review your bill on NEST periodically to ensure your account is credited after completing a waiver. Credits are applied to the student’s account within two-to-three business days after a waiver is received. If you are having a problem waiving your insurance, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
United Healthcare Student Resources (Student Health Insurance) offers several support options for students with questions regarding transgender insurance coverage.
Questions regarding gender affirmation surgery and hormone therapy can be answered by contacting:
United Healthcare Student Resources at:
email@example.com or call 866-780-4768