Welcome to the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Program!
This program serves individuals who meet the following criteria:
- At least 65 years of age
- Are New Jersey Residents
- Possess a high school degree or its equivalent
The program allows students to enroll at Montclair State University on a space-available basis with costs that include only administrative and student fees.
Whether you are looking for personal enrichment (non-degree classification) or if you are interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree or graduate degree, the Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Program offers the opportunity for continuing education.
Please read through the information below to learn more about the program. If you have any questions, please send an email to: email@example.com.
Depending on your educational history as well as your interest in pursuing a degree or taking classes for personal enrichment, there are different application processes. Please carefully review the options below.
Students interested in taking courses for personal enrichment (non-degree classification), simply need to complete a Senior Citizen Non-Degree Application and submit an official transcript, depending on their previous educational status. Non-degree students will need to submit a new application for each semester during which they wish to take courses.
- Senior Citizen students who possess a high school diploma or a GED diploma, may take undergraduate courses on a credit or non-credit basis by applying for admission through Undergraduate Admissions. Application information for Senior Citizen students can be found by scrolling to the bottom of the linked page.
- Senior Citizen students who have earned an undergraduate degree or higher make take courses on a credit or non-credit basis for personal enrichment by submitting an application through the Graduate School.
Students interested in pursuing a degree, whether at the Undergraduate or Graduate level, must submit a complete application and meet all of the necessary entrance requirements to the University.
- To apply as a Senior Citizen student for admission to an undergraduate program, students must apply online as a degree-seeking applicant via Undergraduate Admissions.
- Students who have earned an undergraduate degree interested in pursuing a graduate degree must submit a complete application through the Graduate School. Students must meet all of the necessary entrance requirements, including graduate testing when applicable.
Student Accounts and Cost
The Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver Program only waives tuition. Students in the program are responsible for ALL fees, including:
- Administrative Fee (Senior Citizen/Older Adult) – $40.00
- Student Service Fees
- Miscellaneous Student Fees (example: School of Business, Music Course Fees, etc.)
Failure to pay balance in a timely fashion may result in a non-refundable late fee. This fee is currently $150.00 and is subject to change.
Students that withdraw after the 100% Add/Drop period will have their waiver retracted and will be fully responsible for the withdrawn course and all costs associated with it, including full tuition and fees.
Course Registration Information
If a course is closed or requires a prerequisite course, students must obtain permits from the respective academic department(s) prior to the Senior Citizen registration date. Advisors are not responsible for contacting offices to obtain permits for students.
Students must come to each Senior Citizen registration event with the course code, number, section and course registration number of the course(s) they wish to enroll in. Advisors cannot find classes with just the name of the course.
In order to receive a tuition waiver, Senior Citizen students must be in compliance with all rules and regulations of the program, including:
- Registering for classes on the designated Senior Citizen registration date each semester.
- Notifying the the program by email at firstname.lastname@example.org of class registration, including number of credits taken, within one business day of registering. Students who fail to provide notification of their registration will be charged tuition and fees.
Auditing A Class
If you do not wish to receive a letter grade or credit for a course, an audit form must be completed at the time of registration. If registering independently, the audit form must be emailed to email@example.com within 24 hours of registration. We cannot reverse the decision to audit a class or complete an audit form at a later date. The level of work that needs to be completed by a student auditing is at the discretion of the professor in the course, but adhering to the attendance policy is mandatory.