The goal of ADVS 198 Pathways to Success is to support academically suspended students in developing the academic, personal and social skills needed to succeed and graduate from Montclair State University.
1. To assist students in identifying their areas of strength and those in need of development
2. To guide students in developing personalized action plans for self-improvement
3. To connect students to campus and community resources that can be of assistance to them as they execute their self-improvement plan
4. To help students develop strategies and life-skills that will promote academic and personal success
ADVS 198 Pathways to Success is a one-credit graded course that assists students in academic jeopardy in developing strategies and life-skills to increase their academic and personal success. Through focused discussions and activities, students will work to identify their areas of strength and those in need of development, and based on these discoveries, develop individualized action plans that map out their personal paths to improvement. Students in ADVS 198 will actively work to improve their academic standing by utilizing campus and community resources, completing self-assessments, using Canvas and other forms of technology, and working with their instructor and academic coach/advisor.
- Students will meet each week during the semester with their instructor and an academic coach to work on hands-on activities to improve their life skills and study skills.
- Students will also be required to connect with the campus and community resources that can be of assistance to them as they execute their self-improvement plans and engage in activities on Canvas.
- Students will be required to have monthly meetings outside of the classroom with a graduate advisor to discuss faculty feedback and overall academic performance throughout the semester.
- Additionally, students will be required to attend mandatory tutoring sessions for a minimum of three hours each week of the semester with the appropriate center on campus, as prescribed by the academic coach/advisor.
Those who do not successfully complete ADVS 198 Pathways to Success and do not achieve the necessary retention standards will be placed on the appropriate academic standing based on their academic history. This includes, but is not limited to, suspension.