Application Process for Transfer Students
A transfer student is anyone who has been enrolled in a regionally accredited college or university after graduating from high school. Even if you withdrew from the institution and received no credit, you should still complete the application for transfer admission.
Complete and submit the application for transfer students. After you complete the application, you will see instructions for paying the non-refundable application fee (or submitting a fee waiver request). Then, you will be able to submit your application for review.
An official transcript from ALL regionally accredited colleges and/or universities previously attended.
High School Transcript
All transfer students must submit an official high school transcript. This requirement is waived for applicants who have completed or will have completed an associate’s degree.
Although Montclair State University no longer requires SAT or ACT scores, students with fewer than 30 completed college credits may submit their scores if they would like them considered in the application process.
For us to use ACT scores in the admissions decision process, students must also have taken the optional writing portion of the test.
Complete and submit the Essay/Personal Statement after your application is submitted. Just follow the instructions on your Montclair State Account.
Transfer Student Prompt:
Please provide a brief description of your educational goals. Be sure to explain any discrepancies that may be reflected on your transcript.
Transfer Admission Standards
We review each application individually. However, when considering an applicant for transfer admission, strong candidates for admission generally meet the following criteria:
- A sustained, rigorous academic curriculum with an overall “B” average
- A demonstrated interest in intended major by displaying academic success in the courses taken
If you have attended more than one regionally accredited college or university, the grade point average from all schools will be considered.
Specific Admissions Requirements by College/School
In addition to our general Transfer Admission Standards, certain programs have their own specific standards for admission. These programs include:
College of Humanities and Social Sciences
- Jurisprudence: Completion of 24 college-level credits and 3.0 GPA
College of Science and Mathematics
- Biology: 3.0 GPA
- Computer Science: 3.0 GPA
- Science Informatics: 3.0 GPA
College of Education and Human Services
- Athletic Training: 3.0 GPA (fall admission only)
- Exercise Science: 3.0 GPA AND the completion of at least 15 college level credits (fall deadline: June 1; spring deadline: November 15)
- Family and Child Studies (all concentrations): 3.0 GPA
Feliciano School of Business
- Accounting: 3.0 GPA AND the completion of at least 12 college level credits
- Business Administration (all concentrations) and Economics: 3.0 cumulative GPA AND the completion of at least 12 college level credits
College of the Arts
- Communication and Media Arts; Communication Studies: 3.0 GPA and interview
- Filmmaking: 3.0 GPA and portfolio review
- Journalism: 3.0 GPA and interview
- Television and Digital Media: 3.0 GPA and interview
Please Note: All other College of the Arts programs (with the exception of Fashion Studies, Art History and Theatre Studies) require an interview, audition or portfolio review. Musical Theatre and Theatre Acting are for fall admission only. For more information, visit the student services portion of the College of the Arts webpage.
Links to College of the Arts Admission Guidelines and Audition/Interview/Portfolio Review dates can be found here: Admission to the College of the Arts.