Frequently Asked Questions and Forms

Unless otherwise stated, all forms can be found on the Office of the Registrar’s website.

Application for Graduation

It is the student's responsibility to complete the curriculum prescribed in the University catalog in effect, or as modified, when s/he matriculates. Students who will be completing their curriculum requirements for degrees, teacher certification, or post baccalaureate certificates must complete the Application to Graduate through their NEST account. In order to be evaluated for completion of requirements, students must adhere to the following deadlines in filing an application:

November 1 for the following January graduation
January 1 for the following May graduation
May 1 for the following August graduation

Depending upon the expected date of graduation, the student will receive an email to their Montclair State University email address prior to the final term. This email will direct them to review the “Notes” and the “Saved” audit to be found in the Degree Works audit available through NEST. See Graduation Information.

Change of Major

For majors that do not have specific admission criteria, students can go directly to that academic department to complete the Undergraduate Change of Major/Minor Form and obtain the signature of the Department Chair. After the form is signed, the student will deliver the form to the Registrar’s Office for processing. The following majors are restricted and cannot be declared without completing the necessary entrance requirements. In each case, the student should reach out to the department in question to identify the necessary steps to application: All Art and Design majors, Athletic Training, Business Administration, Communication and Media Arts, Communication Studies (all concentrations), Computer Science, Dance, Exercise Science, Family and Child Studies (all concentration), Fashion Studies, Filmmaking, Nutrition and Food Science: Dietetics, Jurisprudence, Law and Society, Justice Studies (all concentrations), Music (all concentrations), Physical Education (all concentrations), Television and Digital Media (all concentrations), and Theatre (all concentrations).

Course Overloads

Special permission is required to take a course overload of more than 19 credit hours.  Full-time undergraduate students who have 1)at least sophomore standing (30 credit hours earned), and 2) a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, or a semester GPA of 3.0 or higher for the semester most recently completed may register for a course overload, upon the approval of the Dean of the College/School in which the student is majoring. A College/School Dean may make exceptions to the above eligibility criteria for course overloads.  Approved forms should be routed to the Office of the Registrar for processing

All registration for course overloads are on a “space available” basis and must be processed in person in the Office of the Registrar. The University reserves the right to reduce the course load of any student who registers for more than 19 credit hours without course overload approval.

Course Repeats

Undergraduate students who receive an F, D-, D, D+, or WD in a course are permitted to repeat the course only once. Courses in which a student received a grade of C- or better cannot be repeated. Under limited special and extenuating circumstances, the Dean of each College or School has the discretion to approve exceptions to these policies. (Certain “repeatable” courses, such as music ensembles, independent studies, co-ops, and special topics courses are also exceptions). When a course has been repeated, both the original and the subsequent grade are included on the permanent record, but the credit for the course is counted only once.  The grade received in the last attempt will always be recorded as the official final grade for the course and will be the grade that is counted in the student’s G.P.A. 

These regulations apply whether a course is repeated at Montclair State or repeated at a different institution.

View Course Repeats.

To request to repeat a course a second time, or for which a grade of C- or better was earned, students must seek approval from their academic advisor and then the Dean of the School or College in which the course is housed. Once completed, the Request to an Undergraduate Course Special and Extenuating Circumstances form is delivered to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

Credit Adjustment Forms: Two Scenarios

1)    Re-evaluation of Transfer Credit
It is possible to transfer a course into Montclair State University without that course having a direct MSU course equivalent. In such cases, the course will be designated with the department taxonomy followed by DPT (e.g. HISTDPT). In order to expedite graduation, a student may request this course be evaluated by the department in order to ascertain if a direct MSU equivalent can be established.

Credit adjustment forms must be signed by the student, the department chairperson or designee of the department offering the MSU course, and the college/school dean or designee. Department chairs will have the option, on the form, of applying the course equivalent to the individual student seeking the adjustment or applying the course equivalent to all students, thus reflecting the change in Banner. It is important to note that courses from a two-year college cannot be designated as equivalent to 300/400-level Montclair State University courses.

2)     Re-evaluation of Transfer Credit from “Not Counted” area of degree audit

In cases when credits in excess of 60 from a community college appear on a student's transcripts, any credits beyond 60 are evaluated as "not applicable" to graduation and reside in surplus in Banner and in the “Not Counted” area of the degree audit. This might result in useful credits being marked as "not applicable" in cases of major change or the addition of additional majors, minors, or concentrations. In such cases a credit adjustment form may be submitted to move that course from the “not counted” area to fill a requirement. The audit will then select a different free elective course to move to the “not counted” area.

3)    Curriculum Substitution
At times, it may be appropriate to substitute one Montclair State University course for another course/requirement. This type of substitution/waiver is also completed through the submission of a credit adjustment form and must be signed by the student, the department chairperson or designee, and the college/school dean or designee. 

Late Registration for Courses by Permit

All permits issued prior to the end of the Add/Drop period become invalid at the end of the Add/Drop period. When completed, the Approval for Late Registration by Permit form may allow a student to register for a course after the posted Add/Drop period for a semester or term. A student must first request a Permit from the Department offering the desired course. The timeline below describes the deadlines for a regular fall or spring semester. For other terms, or for a course that runs part of a term, deadlines will be defined proportionately.


First week after the end of the Add/Drop period (second week of the term): The student should see the Department offering the course. If the Department agrees to issue a Permit allowing the student to register, the student may go to the Registrar’s Office and register.


Second week after the end of the Add/Drop period (third week of the term): The student should see the Department offering the course. If the Department agrees to issue a Permit to the student to register, the student’s advisor should complete and sign the Late Registration by Permit form, then the student should go to the Office of the Dean of the College in which the course is offered. If the Dean agrees to endorse the Department’s Permit for late registration, the student should then take this form to the Registrar’s Office and register.

Medical Withdrawal Policy

Montclair State University students who experience physical, psychological and/or other extenuating circumstances that substantially impair their ability to function successfully or safely may be eligible for a medical withdrawal.

Dropping all classes for the semester does not constitute a medical withdrawal. A medical withdrawal determination will be based on an evaluation by a Montclair State University clinician or in consultation with an off-campus treatment provider regarding the severity and onset of the mental or physical condition, and its impact on the student’s ability to attend classes and perform academically during such condition, or after requested reasonable accommodations have been provided by the University.  It is expected that time away from the University will be used for treatment and recovery.

Permits into Closed or Restricted Courses

Permission to register for closed courses is governed by the department offering the course.  Students seeking admission into a closed/restricted course should be advised to consult the department administrator/chair to ascertain departmental policy.

Residency Requirement

A minimum of 32 credit hours of the total required for graduation must be completed at Montclair State. The final 24 credit hours required for graduation must be taken at Montclair State and cannot be acquired through transfer. This policy is strictly adhered to.

Any student who transfers from another institution with advanced standing in a major field of study is required to complete a minimum of twelve credit hours of upper level course work in the major at Montclair State. Some curricula may require more than this minimum.

No more than 60 credits can be transferred into MSU from a 2-year community/junior/county college. Courses from these same institutions cannot be equated to a level higher than 100-200.

Students Who Wish to Take Coursework at Another Institution

Matriculated undergraduate students may choose to take coursework at another institution.  Prior to registering for any coursework, outside of Montclair State University, the student must complete a Request for Work at Another Institution Form (available online and in the Office of the Registrar). 

Following are the policies as they relate to taking coursework at another institution:

  • Students must be in good academic standing at MSU (cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher).
  • Courses transferred back to MSU cannot be used to repeat a D+, D, D-, or F grade
  • As of Fall 2008, no more than 60 credits from two-year colleges can be applied to the baccalaureate degree. Students who have transferred the maximum from two-year institutions may still transfer in credit from a four-year institution.
  • Courses from a two-year college may not be equated to 300/400 level courses at MSU
  • A minimum of 32 credit hours AND the final 24 credit hours required for graduation must be taken at MSU. Any exceptions to the residency requirement would be approved on the Request for Work at Another Institution form
  • Financial aid recipients planning to use any federal grant or loan processed through MSU to finance these credits, must contact the Student Financial Aid Office for additional instructions.
  • Upon securing all approval signatures, the original Request for Work at Another Institution form must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar and a copy must be submitted to the Student Financial Aid Office.
  • Upon completion of the course(s),the student must request an official transcript from the other institution to be sent to:

Office of the Registrar
Montclair State University
One Normal Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07043

  • Coursework will be accepted provided the student earns a grade of C- or higher.
  • Grades earned at another institution are not factored into the Montclair State term/cumulative GPA.

Other Available Forms
The Forms page on the Office of the Registrar's site also has pdf version of the above forms and many others that might also be useful to you. Visit that page at the following link: