Guide to Sustain Local 2016: A look back at the conference in text, photos, social media, drawings and videos
The Center for Cooperative Media hosted Sustain Local on Oct. 6-7, 2016, on the campus of Montclair State University. The event -- the Center's third annual national conference -- delved into issues surrounding local journalism sustainability, with a specific focus on business models and revenue diversification.
Here's look back at the conference in text, photos, social media, graphic recordings, videos and more.
Watch the conference:
We livestreamed all the keynotes and panels at Sustain Local, using Facebook Live and Livestream.com. You can watch a replay using the video player below.
Coverage of Sustain Local included:
- Article: Community News’ Fight to Succeed: ‘Sustain Local 2016’ Put It All Together
- Article: At Sustain Local, NPR’s head of news says local stations boost strength of the national network
- Article: There’s money to be made in local news, entrepreneurs say at Sustain Local – but it’s hard work
- Article: Enterprise reporting, watchdog, longform and local interest news drive traffic, American Press Institute tells Sustain Local
- Social media: Sustain Local on social media: Discussing the future of local journalism, business models, engagement and more
- Article (MediaShift): Sustain Local 2016: How Local Journalism Can Thrive with Partnerships, Community Engagement
- Drawings: Sustain Local as a graphic recording: Here’s how one professor captured the conversation in drawings
- Photos: Were you there? Find yourself in these Sustain Local conference photos
Sessions at Sustain Local included:
- Thursday evening American Press Institute presentation on data-driven content strategy.
- Thursday evening keynote by Gordon Borrell on building the media company of the future.
- Friday morning keynote roundtable: The current state of business models supporting local journalism.
- Monetization strategies: Diversify your revenue by thinking creatively about what you can sell. (Celeste LeCompte, Anastasia Cole Plakias)
- Nonprofit business models: How 501(c)3 news organizations are finding sustainability (Sue Cross, John Mooney, Rebecca Ross)
- What's next? A peek into the future of business models supporting local journalism (Jeff Jarvis, Rob Barrett, Jim Friedlich)
- Friday midday keynote by Michael Oreskes of NPR
- Attracting new money: How local outlets can capture national marketing dollars (David Card, Maribeth Papuga)
- Revenue diversity: The importance of building a pipeline of consumer revenue (Mary Walter-Brown, Tim Griggs, Lance Knobel)
- New Jersey's $2 billion question: It's time to reimagine public media (Craig Aaron, Chris Daggett)
- Building a revenue strategy: Make sure you've got a foundation for success (Eleanor Cippel, Kenny Kratzgrau)
- Events: Lessons from building a revenue and engagement strategy IRL (Chris Krewson, Alesha Williams Boyd)
- The importance of engagement: How investing in a deep audience connection can pay dividends (Chris Satullo, Carrie Brown, Terry Parris Jr.)
- Spotlight on local news entrepreneurs