Tobacco Free Policy
Phased Plan begins September 1, 2017.
After careful review and consideration of the recommendations made by the University Senate and the Student Government Association, new University policies on the use of all tobacco and similar products are in effect as of September 1, 2017.
Be Tobacco Free
Current state law and University policy prohibit smoking, and/or the use of tobacco, vapor or similar products inside any campus building. A plan for a phased elimination of the use of tobacco products on campus will be implemented as follows:
- Effective September 1, 2017, use of these products is restricted on-campus to designated smoking areas located at least 25 feet from all entries, outdoor air intakes and operable windows. Get More Info on Designated Smoking Areas.
- Permissible outdoor areas will be clearly marked and designated as such with a pole and red banner. Smoking, use of tobacco, tobacco products or vapor equipment will be prohibited outside of these areas. View Locations on Campus Map.
- The Office of Health Promotion has prepared a series of programs and services for the campus community that supports and encourages tobacco cessation. These will last until full implementation of the policy on September 1, 2020. If deemed necessary at that time, additional programs will be established.
- The campus will become 100% smoke, tobacco and vapor product free on September 1, 2020.
We Need Your Commitment
This plan will require the commitment of all members of the University. We recognize this will be a difficult transition for many individuals. We trust that smokers will be cooperative with this plan and that non-smokers will encourage, support and help them locate designated smoking areas when necessary. Current data show that 80% of Montclair State University students support a tobacco-free policy and only 3% of Montclair State University students use cigarettes daily, based on the spring 2017 National College Health Association.
We all benefit from a campus community that is healthy in all its many forms. This plan enables us to take the steps necessary to help achieve that goal and we look forward to an even healthier campus environment for everyone!
*Products include but are not limited to:
- Smokeless Tobacco
- Chewing tobacco – loose leaf plug or twist
- Cigars, Cigarillos and Little Cigars
- Waterpipes, including hookah
- Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Vapor products and vaporizers
- Dry herbs and wax
- Dissolvable Tobacco
Ready to Quit? We Can Help.
We have a variety of on and off campus resources and support to assist you.
Office of Health Promotion: 973-655-5271, located in the Student Center Annex, Room 205 and the Drop In Center
University Health Center: 973-655-4361, located on the first floor of Blanton Hall
New Jersey Quitline: 866-657-8677
Please forward questions to: email@example.com