Hire a Red Hawk How-Tos
To gain access to Hire a Red Hawk, please first update your information with Alumni Relations by registering on MONTCLAIRconnect. MONTCLAIRconnect is the online community exclusive to Montclair State alumni.
Please note, it may take up to five business days for MONTCLAIRconnect to transfer your updated information to Hire a Red Hawk. You will receive an email with login instructions once access to Hire a Red Hawk has been granted.
If you did not receive an email, you will need to contact the Office of Alumni Relations to confirm that we have your correct contact information. Once updated, the welcome email will be sent to you.
If you are having trouble logging into your Hire a Red Hawk account or having an issue while using Hire a Red Hawk, please open a help desk ticket. Please submit the following information via email by clicking the link below:
- Status (current student or alum)
- Graduation Year
- Program of Study
- Phone Number
- Summary of Issue
Please Note: You must upload a resume in order to apply for jobs and internships through Hire a Red Hawk. Get started by signing into your Hire a Red Hawk account and follow the steps below:
Upload Your Resume and Other Documents
- Once in your Hire a Red Hawk account, click Upload Resume and Documents on the left-hand navigation and choose My Documents from the drop-down menu.
- Click Add New.
- Follow the prompts to upload your document and click Submit.
- Your uploaded resume will appear in the Pending Documents tab until approved by your assigned Career Services office. The review process will take 3-5 business days.
Resume Writing Resources
Your respective career services office offers resume writing resources and guides. Click on the links below to be directed to the appropriate resources:
College to the Arts: Career Tool-kits
College of Education and Human Services: Resume, Cover Letter and Interview Tips
College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Resumes and Cover Letters
College of Science and Mathematics: Sign into Hire a Red Hawk and search for “CSAM Sample Resume Guide” under Resources > Document Library
Feliciano School of Business: Career Toolbox
Mock Interviews in Hire a Red Hawk is a free, online tool designed to help improve your interview technique and build your confidence. This feature allows you to video-record your answers and submit the recordings for feedback.
Access Mock Interviews
- Click Resources on the left-hand navigation. Then, click Mock Interviews from the drop-down menu.
- Or, click Mock Interviews from the quick links on the right-hand side of your homepage.
- You can either take a recommended interview or Create New Mock Interview on your own.
- Mock Interviews require Adobe Flash as well as audio/video
Take a Recommended Interview
- Under the Recommended Interview tab, scroll through the suggested interviews based on your program of study or experience level. You can also use the search bar to find interviews using keywords.
- Click Record New Attempt
- Follow the prompts to either the practice questions or start the interview.
- Once you’ve completed the interview, you can share it or request feedback from a counselor or professor.
Create New Mock Interview
- Click Resources > Mock Interviews > My Mock Interviews
- Select Create New Mock Interview
- Either copy questions from an existing interview or label your new set of interview questions.
- Search and select questions from the listed categories. Once you’ve added in your questions, click Save and Continue.
- Once your mock interview has been built, you can immediately begin or take the interview at a later time.
Jobs Quick Links
- Once signed into your Hire a Red Hawk account, find the Jobs & Co-ops/Internships quick links on the right-hand side.
- Click Search Jobs (all jobs) to explore full-time, part-time, and on-campus jobs
- Click Search for Jobs for Which I Qualify to explore all job postings where your qualifications (major, GPA, etc.) meet the screening criteria selected by the employer.
Jobs Advanced Search
- Once signed into your Hire a Red Hawk account, find the Jobs tab on the left-hand navigation and choose Jobs from the drop-down menu.
- All position types will be housed in this section.
- You can filter down by position type (full time, part-time, etc.).
- You can use the search bar to find jobs by title, company, location and more!
- The Recommended Jobs tab shows you the jobs that match your program of study and interests.
- Use the Advanced Search drop down to use additional filters in your job search.
When you search for jobs, you will see if you qualify for the position. If you do not qualify, there will be a notification next to the position in your search.
To understand why you do not qualify for the position, click on the posting and view the screening criteria on the right-hand side. You will not be able to apply for positions in which you do not qualify.
Create Job Search Agents
You can save a search to be notified when new jobs or internships are posted that fit your search criteria.
- Once you set your advanced search filters, click the “Saved Searches” drop-down menu.
- Name your search and select how frequently you would like to be notified of new jobs by email. You can also select whether you would like to receive new results only.
You must upload a resume in order to apply for jobs and internships through Hire a Red Hawk.
Apply for Jobs
When you find a position of interest, click on the posting to learn more about the role. You can apply directly through Hire a Red Hawk with your approved resume, by simply clicking Apply.
Please Note: All job postings will list the application deadline on the right-hand side.
Career Fair Quick Links
- Once signed into your Hire a Red Hawk account, find the Attend Events quick links on the right-hand side.
- Any upcoming career fairs will be shown in this box. To view an event in more detail and RSVP, simply click the event title.*
* Please Note: The Attend Events quick links box will not appear on your homepage if there are no upcoming career fairs.
Career Events Advanced Search and RSVP
- Once signed into your Hire a Red Hawk account, find the Events tab on the left-hand navigation.
- Choose the event type you are interested in attending (Career Fairs, Information Sessions, Workshops).
- Once your event type is selected, you will see all upcoming events that meet your search criteria.
- Click on the event title to learn more about the event and RSVP. Or, simply RSVP to each event of interest in your search result.
Your Hire a Red Hawk Profile
Your Hire a Red Hawk profile is similar to your LinkedIn account. You can update your profile to include information on your education, experience, projects, skills, etc. You can also “publish” your profile to be included in search results when employers look for qualified candidates to fill their open positions!
To update your profile, follow the steps below.
- Once signed into your Hire a Red Hawk account, click on Profile in the left-hand navigation.
- Update each section (optional: include a photo and cover photo). Remember, employers can view your profile, so keep all pictures and information professional!
- Once you are ready to share your profile, slide the Publish button to on.
Update Your Hire a Red Hawk Account & Privacy Settings
In addition to updating your profile, you can also view and edit your Personal, Academic and Privacy tabs in your account.
To view and edit your account settings, follow the steps below.
- Once signed into your Hire a Red Hawk account, click My Account on the left-hand navigation bar.
- Under your Personal tab, you can:
- Update your employment status.
- Provide an alternative email and phone number.
- Update your demographic information (including birthdate, gender, ethnicity, veteran status and more).
- Under your Academic tab, you can:
- Update your work authorization.
- Choose up to three geographic preferences for job and internship searches.
- Under your Privacy tab, you can:
- Update your notification preferences (email, text message, job blasts, etc.)
- Choose to be included in resume books.
- Choose to promote yourself to employers.
- Synchronize Hire a Red Hawk events with your Google calendar.