Health and Nutrition Sciences - 2013 University Catalog
You have reached an archived version of the University Catalog. For the most current information please go to: montclair.edu/catalog.
Chairperson: Amanda Birnbaum, Ph.D.
The mission of the department of Health and Nutrition Sciences is to engage a diverse student body to prepare lifelong learners with academic skills and real-world experience in health education, public health, nutrition and food sciences. We foster leadership in our students as they prepare to enter and/or progress within the professional world; promote faculty scholarship that serves the community and advances our scientific disciplines; and involves students, faculty and community stakeholders in interdisciplinary collaborations to develop creative solutions to both persistent and emerging challenges in human nutrition and health. The Department enacts this mission adhering to ethical standards and practices and embracing social justice and culturally diverse perspectives on health and nutrition sciences.
The Department of Health and Nutrition Sciences will provide a novel and integrated approach to health education, public health, nutrition food sciences and food management, which will address local, national and global health and environmental issues. Our programs will provide future leaders with the skills and knowledge they will need to devise and implement strategies and policies to prevent leading and emerging health threats, reduce health and nutrition disparities, and promote multi-sector collaboration. The Department will be viewed as a leader in promoting optimal health and nutrition and developing state-of-the-art technologies in food science and management. The strong, vigorous and relevant academic and experiential programs will graduate highly-qualified professionals and serve as the leading resource for local and regional stakeholders seeking expertise in our scientific areas.
Programs of Study
- Health Education Major, Public Health Concentration (B.S.) - Undergraduate
- Nutrition and Food Science Major, Dietetics Concentration (B.S.) - Undergraduate
- Nutrition and Food Science Major, Food Systems Concentration (B.S.) - Undergraduate
- Nutrition and Food Science Major, General Concentration (B.S.) - Undergraduate
- Nutrition and Food Science Minor - Undergraduate
- Public Health Major, Community Health Education Concentration (B.S.) - Undergraduate
- Public Health Minor - Undergraduate
- Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Certificate Program - Graduate
- Food Safety Instructor Certificate Program - Graduate
- Health Education, Instructional Certification: Teacher Certification in Health Education - Preschool through Grade 12 - Graduate
- Nutrition and Exercise Science Certificate Program - Graduate
- Nutrition and Food Science (M.S.) - Graduate
- Public Health, Community Health Education Concentration (M.P.H.) - Graduate