English - 2014 University Catalog
You have reached an archived version of the University Catalog. For the most current information please go to: montclair.edu/catalog.
Chairperson: Emily Isaacs
The English Department offers instruction in interpreting and creating informative and imaginative texts, in the description and historical understanding of the English and American languages, and in the cultural understanding of world literatures written in English.
Students may major or minor in English, minor in journalism or film, minor in creative writing, or obtain a teaching certificate. The English Department participates in the Cooperative Education Program to offer students career-oriented work opportunities.
For English majors minoring in film or journalism: Only two minor courses may be counted towards the English major.
Students should note that ENWR 105 College Writing I: Intellectual Prose and ENWR 106 College Writing II: Writing and Literary Study are prerequisites for all other English courses with the exception of ENFL courses and ENWR 100 Introduction to Writing.
Information about the department's programs, including downloadable curriculum worksheets and an interactive Online Worksheet, is available at montclair.edu/chss/english.
Programs of Study
- Creative Writing Minor - Undergraduate
- English Major (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- English Major (B.A.) - Undergraduate (Combined B.A./M.A.T. with Teacher Certification in English (Preschool-Grade 12) and Teacher of Students with Disabilities)
- English Major with Teacher Certification in English (Preschool-Grade 12) (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- English Major with Teacher Certification in Elementary School Teacher in Grades K-6 (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- English Minor - Undergraduate
- Film Minor - Undergraduate
- Journalism Minor - Undergraduate
- Public and Professional Writing Minor - Undergraduate
- English (M.A.) - Graduate
- English, Instructional Certification: Teacher Certification in English (Preschool-Grade 12) - Graduate
- English, Instructional Certification: Teacher Certification in Elementary School with Subject Matter Specialization: Language Arts/Literacy Grades 5-8 - Graduate
- Teaching Writing Certificate Program - Graduate