Theatre and Dance - 2014 University Catalog
You have reached an archived version of the University Catalog. For the most current information please go to: montclair.edu/catalog.
Chairperson: Randy Mugleston
The Department of Theatre and Dance has trained actors, dancers, production artists, educators, and arts managers for more than 50 years. Our exceptional faculty, progressive curriculum and superb facilities meet the rigorous standards required for accreditation by the National Association of Schools of Theatre (NAST) and Dance (NASD) – distinctions that place us among the top programs in the country.
The Department offers a range of undergraduate and graduate programs that explore the history, fundamentals and craft of a number of theatre and dance disciplines. Classroom work is supported by intensive, pre-professional production and performance schedules that mirror the professions.
The Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) programs with concentrations in Acting, Dance, Musical Theatre, and Production and Design prepare students for careers as performers, director/choreographers, and backstage specialists. Our Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree in Theatre Studies is designed for students wishing to pursue broad-based theatre-related careers. The BA in Dance Education prepares students to teach, train, and inspire the next generation of dancers, dance-lovers, and creative thinkers.
The Department attracts more than 75 outstanding faculty and visiting professionals, including prominent guest artists who mentor our students, sharing valuable insights into the professional performance world.
Theatre and Dance students design for and perform in six well-equipped theatres, including the state-of-the-art Alexander Kasser Theater; four dance studios; a 100-seat auditorium; a 2000-seat amphitheater; and the intimate L. Howard Fox Theatre. Our students graduate ready to work. Some join – or start – professional ensembles, while others launch solo careers as performers or choreographers. Some teach in schools, studios and colleges, while others become agents and arts managers.
Programs of Study
- Dance Major (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Dance Major Education Concentration, with Teacher Certification in Dance (Preschool-Grade 12) (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- Dance Major Studio Teaching Concentration (B.A.) - Undergraduate
- Dance Minor - Undergraduate
- Musical Theatre Major (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Musical Theatre Minor - Undergraduate
- Theatre Major, Acting Concentration (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Theatre Major, Production/Design Concentration (B.F.A.) - Undergraduate
- Theatre Minor - Undergraduate
- Theatre Studies Major (B.A.) - Undergraduate